ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, I just wanted to bring this string of messages about the new Z back up to the top of the page so more people will speak their mind. I'm really interested to find out what everyone thinks about this new 'Z'. So heres the last thing I had to say so far. Everyone let me know what your thinking.

Another thing that makes me say hmmm... is in the new MotorTrend with the article on pg 28 that interviews the president of North America Nissan. He said that We used to be

known for performance, number one as far as horsepower is concerned. Toyota would have a model at 100 horsepower, Honda at 110, and we would make 120. So I'm wondering

what models are they going to try to beat now. The Civic and Corolla (since they quit producing the 200SX), or the Prelude and Celica (since they quit producing the 240SX), or the

class that has no market anymore since the Supra is gone. They can do any of these and probably sell. Will they reinvent the 4cylinder like Honda has done with the S2000, or will

they stick to there guns with the I6 that the original Zs had. I prefer the latter. One) It has historical meaning. All the old Zs had 6cylinders, and the first 4 generations were I6. Two)

The I6 allows them to compete in both of the upper divisions. A N/A I6 from Nissan could definitely beat the Prelude, Integra, and Celicas out there, no doubt. But then if you

turbocharge it, you can be making some serious power that will put you in a class that is empty right now because of the loss in sport cars. It just makes more since. And if they are

going for right around $25K, then they lied in the MotorTrend article about their target market, young people. Few young people can afford $25K. They need to strive for less.Just

leave all the fancy gadgetry out, and give us a Z!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,158 Posts
> You know, I don't give a rat's behind what new car can beat what other new car. It's like saying Frosted Flakes are better than Kix because they have more vitamins. So Kix just sprays more vitamin goop in the mixture the next year (at a cost of nothing) and claims THEY are the best. Does anyone out of puberty out there who doesn't have money to burn really care about a couple tenths better performance on the skid pad or in the quarter mile? Get real.
What I do care about is how a car looks and what kind of personality it has. The first-generation Z-cars had gobs of both looks and personality. Plus they were affordable. (The last generation Supras could have had twice the performance of their contemporaries, but I wouldn't own one because they are ugly.) I say bring the ORIGINAL Z-cars back in some guise or another. (See more on these thoughts in a response to Phantom above).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
> What I do care about is how a car looks and
> what kind of personality it has. The
> first-generation Z-cars had gobs of both
> looks and personality. Plus they were
> affordable. (The last generation Supras
> could have had twice the performance of
> their contemporaries, but I wouldn't own one
> because they are ugly.) I say bring the
> ORIGINAL Z-cars back in some guise or
> another. (See more on these thoughts in a
> response to Phantom above).

Again, a reality check is in order. Man, would I love to have my Z new, but it's NEVER going to happen, it's not for the mass market. What Nissan needs is to take thier concept, revise it a little to look like a modern interpation of the original, put it on a Skyline chassis with the RT25 something straight six engine that is already in the Skyline, and sell it cheap. Can you say VOLUME, that's all they care about, and all they need to get them out of debt. Sure, if they built it more like we want, the true people who care about the Z will be happy, but Nissan may go down the drain because of it, nobody, espeacilly Nissan, wants that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
358 Posts
> What I do care about is how a car looks and
> what kind of personality it has. The
> first-generation Z-cars had gobs of both
> looks and personality. Plus they were
> affordable. (The last generation Supras
> could have had twice the performance of
> their contemporaries, but I wouldn't own one
> because they are ugly.) I say bring the
> ORIGINAL Z-cars back in some guise or
> another. (See more on these thoughts in a
> response to Phantom above).

Again, a reality check is in order. Man, would I love to have my Z new, but it's NEVER going to happen, it's not for the mass market. What Nissan needs is to take thier concept, revise it a little to look like a modern interpation of the original, put it on a Skyline chassis with the RT25 something straight six engine that is already in the Skyline, and sell it cheap. Can you say VOLUME, that's all they care about, and all they need to get them out of debt. Sure, if they built it more like we want, the true people who care about the Z will be happy, but Nissan may go down the drain because of it, nobody, espeacilly Nissan, wants that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
> What I do care about is how a car looks and
> what kind of personality it has. The
> first-generation Z-cars had gobs of both
> looks and personality. Plus they were
> affordable. (The last generation Supras
> could have had twice the performance of
> their contemporaries, but I wouldn't own one
> because they are ugly.) I say bring the
> ORIGINAL Z-cars back in some guise or
> another. (See more on these thoughts in a
> response to Phantom above).

I disagree to a point about you saying that how fast the car is, isn't important. Personality and performance are important. A 130hp car like the Ford Escort ZX2 won't cut I think. They need to make a very basic sports car, reliable sports car which is what makes older z's more fun to drive, but I guess it won't happen. People these days like their plain , boring, ugly cars, with no charachter. The new Z looks like one of them too me. I guess the good old days are gone. I live in Utah where everyone drives SUV's, mini vans, or pick ups. I hate 'em!
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top