Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help!!!!
it's an 83 ZXT
Ok, all the emission stuff was perfect what failed me was timing and EGR, timing is because I screwed up when replacing the oil pump, so that one is an easy fix. The other thing that failed me is the EGR, he said the valve seems to be working but there is no vacuum action under acceleration to actuate it. I didn't think I had any vacuum leaks cause whenever I remove any vacuum line, dipstick, or oil filler cap the engine just about dies. The hose going into the EGR is brand new, so thats not it. What could be wrong.....HELP.....please

I appreciate all the help you guys can give me,
Josh

·
Registered
232 Posts
Re: FAILED SMOG INSPECTION?

i had the same problem on my 78..don't know how simular the egr setup is...BUT I had a bad "ported vacume switch" which allows vacume to the EGR only when the engine is warmed up..mine was always closed, so I never got vacume to the egr. replaced it with a junkyard one and all is well. My ported vacume switch is located mid intake manifold, on the top of the motor...next to the air regulator....it has two small water lines running under it to give it the water temp...good luck
chris

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
corrrect me if im wrong but the egr isnt supposed to be open during acceleration
my 78 has a valve just before the egr that connects to the exhaust manifold
when under accelration exhaust gas pressure forces this valve shut by design
thereby shutting off vacuum to the egr valve.

what was high on the readings?
hc = oil change and spark plugs, check cat
co = vacuum leak, hole in muffler/tailpipe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.