ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got word that my z failed emissions.
readings were

HC max 220 ppm reading was 500 ppm
C0 max 1.2% reading was 9.0%

I just installed a new cat convertor on it yesterday and i'm running 94 octane.

I'm going there later and setting the timing back and turning the gear on the airflow meter clockwise to lean it out. I checked the flap on the airflowmeter yesterday and if i moved it in either direction the engine started to run rougher. The mechanic over the phone was trying to tell me that the emissions machine checks the spark and will know that the distributer was turned back. ( i just ignored him on that).

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Tining can cause them to fail. It Was the major reason I failed last year, timing was too advanced. Set it to factory spec and reclock your AFM. No sense in wasting your free retest (they do give a free retest where you live don't they). I retuned mine after I left the inspection station.

Ken

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
<b>thanking god from OZ</b>

Kansas doesnt have such a pain in the ass procedure. Mine probably wouldnt pass anyway. pushing 246 hp at wheels without help of turbo or laugh gas.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hooray it passed (long)

Well it passed. I got there and turned the timing back and turned the gear inside the airflow meter about 6 to 7 teeth and turned out the screw about 8 turns. took it to the testing station and asked if they could check it before running the test. we let the cat get nice and hot and hooked it up in manual mode. Th co level was still high and the mechanic went t get a screwdriver and when he came back he turn the screw about 1/4 of a turn and all of the sudden the co level dropped to about .3%. He thinks the cat just got hot enough. He tried the 2500rpm test and let off the gas and the levels jumped up real high. So he did it again and brought the rpms down real slow and the co levels stayed below 1%. so he started the test and it failed again. saying the cat wasn't hot enough so while he was entering the info on the screen the owner kept the engine running around 3000 rpm to keep the cat nice and hot. When they tested it again it passed. Whew that was close. They were glad it passed as much as i did because they said there was tons of paper work that they would have to fill out.

They way the car is setup now it looks like i'll be able to get 500miles to this tank of gas. As of right now the gauge is reading 1 bar above 3/4 of a tank and i'm at 130 miles on the odometer.

BTW i can smell the sulfer smell from the cat meaning it is still running rich.

I can't figure it out everything is new?

Thanks
Russell

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.