ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a fsm for 83zx and courtesy only has it for 82 but mine is a 83. Are they similar enough to use the 82 fsm? or do I need to search for a 83? Thanks

·
Registered
430 Posts
i would get your particular year. the 83 NA ECU is particular to that year and the turbo head has hydrolic lifters in that year. i'm sure there are other subtle differences. there is somewhere online where you can get FSM's; hopefully someone else will chime in and share the knowledge.

·
Premium Member
40,978 Posts
aaaah, I used an 83 on an 82...

I needed to trace wiring, and the 83 manual regarding the EFI was identical. (Looking at it, the ECCS part looks similar, too!)
I have an 83 Manual, but also have 2, 83 vehicles right now, soooo...
While dismembering the 82 this past summer, I noticed no differences between what the 83 manual showed me, and what the 82 in front of me actually had.
Something is better'n nothing! You can always ask about a specific difference IF it comes up.
While the N/A ECU for an 83 is claimed by others to be "different" the wiring and sensor values are identical as I could see, and "Hydraulic" lifters are not really a service problem anyway.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: aaaah, I used an 83 on an 82...

Thanks for the info tony, but the 83 still has solid lifters....I just adjusted them a month ago..I would imagine that the hydrolic would have started with the v6 300z...but hey....thanks for the input....I have found that alot of places skip the 83...so I guess thiers not much difference betweeen the 82 and the 83....

·
Registered
225 Posts
Re: aaaah, I used an 83 on an 82...

Actually the 83' turbo had hydraulic lifters they came on the P90a head.
just thought I would clear things up.
I also need the 83' FSM haven't had any luck finding one though.
-J-

·
Registered
47 Posts
What 1970_240Z and KILLING said is true--if you have a turbo, you will NEED the '83 version of the manual. I finally found one on Ebay--had to pay $75 for it, including shipping. But, it is the ORIGINAL.

Now, if you can't luck on to one that way, you can call Dyment at 1-800-247-5321. They will sell you a PHOTOCOPY of the original for $75 PLUS shipping, but you'll have to wait 6-8 weeks for it (they print ONLY on an order). Still, that might be faster than finding an original for sale. I looked here, on Ebay, AND in the newsgroup for one, as well as actively advertising my want for 6 months till I found one.

rancherjim

·
Premium Member
40,978 Posts
No, they DON'T!

Not on a turbo. That's what was said earlier. Hydraulic lifters are the difference between the P90 and P90A head. The turbos had hydraulic lifters. I put it in quotes because someone else spelled it "hydroilc"...
My point was that the hydraulic lifters is a non-starter, Everything I've checked was IDENTICAL. If YOU don't have hydraulic lifters, then the manuals are "transparent"---identical for all intents and purposes.
Clarified.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.