ZCar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1972 240Z Stock
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone that rebuilds the original AM/FM radios on our cars?

1972 Z

Thanks,

Tad
Alabama

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
when you say rebuild, it makes me think you want it taken apart and replaced with something new. If you mean just to fix it, I suppose there are a few places left that would take that on, but you would prob be better off trying to find a working one off ebay. I like period correct parts so I stay away from retro style modern radios and new radios. I have fixed them in the past but they are a major pita to work on. 1st prob is just getting a schematic, next up is how tightly all the mechanical parts are packed into a small package, esp the AM/FM stereo sets. It maybe a very simple fix, if you could describe the exact issue it would help to decide if it is a simple fix. Generally physical damage is a issue from rough handling. Sometimes it will be a polarity issue. How have you tested it?

·
Registered
1972 240Z Stock
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

I probably jumped the gun with my question, I haven't even tested it to see if has power. That would be a good start...

·
Registered
14 Posts
There is a company that will take your original radio and upgrade it with modern features and maintain the original look and size. The name of the company is Aurora Design. The web site is www.tech-retro.com. They have a good video on line that shows all the features they incorporate into your unit. I priced it for my 73 240z (resto) and the price was about $500. The conversion is a 4 channel 180W unit (45 watt per channel.). I'm pretty sure this is the route I'll be going.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts