ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am refurbishing a Z and would like input and advice on some thing I have heard about. The car I am working on is a 77 280z with a automatic transmission. What I want is a nice smooth running, quiet, and reliable engine and transmission for the car. Horse power increases are not what I am looking for but a few more wouldn't hurt. Some of the sites around have mentioned that a p90a head exsists with hydraulic lifters that is extremely quiet and a F54 block which has extra webbing internally that results in a smoother and quiter revving engine. Is this true?
As for the transmission, I have obtained a set of prints and a procedure for swapping the three speed auto for a four speed auto out of a 83 or 84 Maxima. With this transmission I am also to install a newer model torque converter whick will improve the economy of the car.
I travel a lot and the highway wears on me with the noise and economy I get from the car now. But I love the car and I am not getting rid of it. The stock performance is fine for my needs I mostly want to improve and update it.
Any input or advice you gave give would be great.
Thanks in advance,
Jon

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Re: F-54 block & p90a hydraulic head-need inpu

You have an exelet choice in the head and block combo, a friend of mine has a '83 280ZX Turbo and it's a very quiet motor, when running the only nose you can hear are the injectors. The only thing is that the P90a head was only made in '83 only to my knowlege and are pretty hard to come by. As for the block the F-54 L28 block does have renforced webbing around the cylinders.

Hope this helps
Alan

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Re: F-54 block & p90a hydraulic head-need inpu

You are correct in what you have heard. One thing to note, although the f-54 block has the extra webbings for strength it is not the ideal block for performance. If you plan to run high hp the webbing presents problems. The extra webbings restrict flow of coolant to the #6 cylinder causing it to run hotter in high hp applications. If this is to be a daily driver with under 400hp your current choice of blocks is excellent.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.