ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for the info on the doors guys. Now I am taking my 75 to the exhaust shop in the morning . I have a headder already installed, should I go with 2.5 or 2.25 pipe straight back to a good muffler ? Which size should I use and any ideas on the muffler.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Thanks for the info on the doors guys. Now I
> am taking my 75 to the exhaust shop in the
> morning . I have a headder already
> installed, should I go with 2.5 or 2.25 pipe
> straight back to a good muffler ? Which size
> should I use and any ideas on the muffler.

I have 2.5 on my '72 Z, and it seems to fit the bill quite well. About the muffler, I suggest going with something a little quieter than what you might otherwise pick out. Loud mufflers sound really great right at first, but if it's something you like to drive often or for long trips, the noise gets really old! I have a really loud HIgh-flow muffler on mine, and it sounds like 100 lawn mowers when I blast up a hill. :)

-rr

·
Registered
403 Posts
> I have 2.5 on my '72 Z, and it seems
> to fit the bill quite well. About the
> muffler, I suggest going with something a
> little quieter than what you might otherwise
> pick out. Loud mufflers sound really great
> right at first, but if it's something you
> like to drive often or for long trips, the
> noise gets really old! I have a really loud
> HIgh-flow muffler on mine, and
> it sounds like 100 lawn mowers when I blast
> up a hill. :)

> -rr
> .
If it sounds like lawnmowers, you picked the wrong muffler, I rather like the loud, yet rich tone my muffler produces. Also I'd probably stick with the 2.25 it has a higher resonant frequency and isn't as boomy sounding as 2.5's can be. The difference in flow on a 2.4 liter engine is negligible, And unless you have a highly modified engine, you probably won't be able to tell much difference other than a slight increase in low end torque from the 2.25 vs the 2.5. Personally, the loudness is a preferential thing, but go with a quality muffler, if it costs 75 or 100 bucks, it's a better investment than a 16.95 thrush turbo from pep boys (or whatever chain store you prefer) (and stay away from flowmasters, they sound like sh*t on Z's (too hollow) )

And I'm running a Dynomax ultraflow 6 round X 16 stainless (2.5ID) and a nice 4 straight cut (actually it's bent back dual layer) tip that really looks good on the car, fairly stock, slightly performance looking, but definitely not overly large looking as some tips seem to be these days. It really really fits well on the car. (dunno what kind it is, just a generic one from an import performance shop I happened across)

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> If it sounds like lawnmowers, you picked the
> wrong muffler, I rather like the loud, yet
> rich tone my muffler produces. Also I'd
> probably stick with the 2.25 it has a higher
> resonant frequency and isn't as boomy
> sounding as 2.5's can be. The difference in
> flow on a 2.4 liter engine is negligible,
> And unless you have a highly modified
> engine, you probably won't be able to tell
> much difference other than a slight increase
> in low end torque from the 2.25 vs the 2.5.
> Personally, the loudness is a preferential
> thing, but go with a quality muffler, if it
> costs 75 or 100 bucks, it's a better
> investment than a 16.95 thrush turbo from
> pep boys (or whatever chain store you
> prefer) (and stay away from flowmasters,
> they sound like sh*t on Z's (too hollow) )

> And I'm running a Dynomax ultraflow 6
> round X 16 stainless (2.5ID) and a
> nice 4 straight cut (actually it's
> bent back dual layer) tip that really looks
> good on the car, fairly stock, slightly
> performance looking, but definitely not
> overly large looking as some tips seem to be
> these days. It really really fits well on
> the car. (dunno what kind it is, just a
> generic one from an import performance shop
> I happened across)

Zebra, how much for the Dynomax? Is it a straight-thru muffler? Did you use a resonator? My L28 is built so I'll have to go with the 2.5in exhaust.

·
Registered
403 Posts
> Zebra, how much for the Dynomax? Is it a
> straight-thru muffler? Did you use a
> resonator? My L28 is built so
> I'll have to go with the 2.5in exhaust.

I paid I think 100 bucks or pretty close to it for the Dynomax (it fits well in the stock location too) and that was about 2 years ago. I think I ended up paying about 60 or so for the tip and another 100 for the installation and tubing etc. You'll need some sort of tip, though cuz the ends of it only stick out about 2 inches or so and just look incomplete as they are. If you want a resonator, I'd suggest something like a borla bullet xr1 located in the middle of the car (under the driveshaft) or something along those lines that's basically a glasspack (though better quality and flow) The dynomax itself is basically a big glasspack when you get right down to it. And it is a straight through, you can look in it and see out the other end. Plus, the inner tube doesn't have any protrusions like a cheap glasspack will, so the flow is excellent.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> I paid I think 100 bucks or pretty close to
> it for the Dynomax (it fits well in the
> stock location too) and that was about 2
> years ago. I think I ended up paying about
> 60 or so for the tip and another 100 for the
> installation and tubing etc. You'll need
> some sort of tip, though cuz the ends of it
> only stick out about 2 inches or so and just
> look incomplete as they are. If you want a
> resonator, I'd suggest something like a
> borla bullet xr1 located in the middle of
> the car (under the driveshaft) or something
> along those lines that's basically a
> glasspack (though better quality and flow)
> The dynomax itself is basically a big
> glasspack when you get right down to it. And
> it is a straight through, you can look in it
> and see out the other end. Plus, the inner
> tube doesn't have any protrusions like a
> cheap glasspack will, so the flow is
> excellent.

Sounds like a good deal. That Borla you recommend is pretty pricey up here in BC though. You're talking U$D right?

·
Registered
403 Posts
> Sounds like a good deal. That Borla you
> recommend is pretty pricey up here in BC
> though. You're talking U$D right?
Yeah it's all US $, the borla is pricey but something similar to it (even a cherry bomb so long as the holes that are inside it aren't protruding louvres or anything else that impedes flow) and it sounds fine without a resonator (but I warn you it is loud when you get on it and has a nice low growl that's beautiful for setting off car alarms in parking garages) I've heard it compared to a Z with some other exhaust that was loud but buzzy and I personally thought the other one sounded really tinny and crappy. this is at least a good race car/exotic car kind of loud. (IMO of courseand I'm probably biased)

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
I have a 2.5 that goes through a resinater into a 3 muffler, on my 240. It is a little loud, but when i put my foot down, all i here inside is the roar of 3 side draughts. And it sounds great at idle.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> I have a 2.5 that goes through a
> resinater into a 3 muffler, on my 240.
> It is a little loud, but when i put my foot
> down, all i here inside is the roar of 3
> side draughts. And it sounds great at idle.
I have 2.5 with no muffler but mine is a turbo so it's not so damm loud that you can't stand it

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> I have 2.5 with no muffler but mine is a
> turbo so it's not so damm loud that you
> can't stand it

I have a 2.25 exhaust with a 20 glass-pack bullet in the tunnel and a 4 monza pencil-tip at the back. Both items are glass-packs. In the few short minutes that I had it running, I thought the sound was quite pleasing. A nice deep rumble.

I have a friend with the dynomax and I really don't like the sharp rasp you hear when you lay off the throttle for the next shift.

my .02
Steve G

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.