ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i was thinking of buying a whole new exhaust system for my 84 turbo...any specific brands better then others? I was looking at an HKS system for $350, but if there is anything else better within a reasonable price id like to know, thanks.

·
Registered
918 Posts
You'll probably will hear or have heard 'bout Certified Muffler ... they seem to have a recognized product ...

My only other suggestion, which is the way I'll be going ...

Go to a local muffler shop (I'm getting a Magnaflow muffler) .. that can custom bend install a system for you. Most likely will come in at a lower price (with installation) than the HKS ..

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I dont think HKS makes the exhaust for the Z31 anymore. Certified Muffler is your next best bet.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i've heard of certified muffler, i got there site bookmarked, b/c i saw there 3in exhaust and was like wow, and its like $420 for the stainless steel cat back system with 4in double wall stainless tip, or $290 for the aluminum cat back system with 4in double wall stainless tip, then i found the HKS at http://www.2kracing.com/product_info.php/cPath/14_70_1500/products_id/4033 for $350.....seeing how i am not exactly raking in the cash right now, i'm looking for the best product for a reasonable amount of money, if that aluminum certified muffler system is better then the HKS, then you guys think i should get that? I would get all stainless steel but thats over my price range :(

·
Registered
918 Posts
All Z31 owner's Certified Muffler is doing their annual summer sale!!!!
Order any exhaust system from us in the month of July and recieve a 15% discount off of list price. Please make sure to call your orders into us directly as our website will not give the discount.
Speak to Mary directly she can answer any questions you have and also take your order. All orders will be shipped in about 2-5 business days from the date of order.
Toll free number 1-888-237-2745

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha do you work for them or something?, if thats the case i can get the full stainless steel 3in kit....but i got a question...since i got the turbo, do i have to get the turbo back exhaust, or can i get the cat back exhaust?...and whats the difference between the two?

·
Registered
4,438 Posts
you don't HAVE to get the turbo back system. But if you don't, you're not helping yourself any.

Turbo back is just that, from the turbo elbow all the way to the muffler tips.
Cat back is just that, from the cat to the muffler tips.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
CM is better than the HKS. Far as I know there are only two shops online that mandrel bend 3" exhaust kits and CM is the only one that makes a kit for the z31. Very, very unlikely that your local muffler shops will have a machine capable of making 3" mandrel bends.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ahh ok, hmm...so would you suggest the turbo back over the cat back, and in this case, all stainless steel or aluminum with stainless tip?

Post Edited (Jul 26, 5:58pm)

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
The only thing CM has over the HKS is that the HKS only comes in 2.5". Ive had my HKS for two years and its still in great condition. the bends are all smooth and it still sounds great. IMO it looks better then the CM systems, which is why I bought it. if/when it ever rusts out I will buy a CM 3" dual tip though, since HKS no longer produces their Z31 system

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I went to my local muffler guy, I looked on a wall that had all the "PRE-MADE" exhaust parts hanging there. I found a 6 ft mid pipe that was from a Chevy truck. It was 3" diameter, and had 4 mandrel bends on it. I have a full mandrel system, turbo back, no muffler, $70 for 4 mandrel bends, $130 labor. $200 Works fine.. I can be the king of thrift sometimes

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmm, i think i'll get the 3in full stainless steel catback exhaust from CM...and since its 15% off right now, its like $360 instead of $420...you guys think thats a good deal, or should i try and get the cash for a turbo back system instead?

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
depends. what kind of power are you planning on making out of this car?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i dont plan on making it insanely powerful, i was just thinking of getting exhaust, new air filter, and a boost controller, and stop there...for now, who knows what i'll do later on, but i'd be happy with just those...but since i'm only doing those, somewhat minor things, i was thinking just a catback exhaust would get the job done, any comments?

Post Edited (Jul 27, 10:43am)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.