ZCar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I hear some folks swear by a "turn down" exhaust pipe tip to keep exhaust fumes out of the cabin on s30 cars. Has anyone tried one of these and can confirm it solves the exhaust fumes in the cabin problem?

If it does - which ones do you guys recommend that worked for you?

-chase

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The other option is to extend the exhaust tip past the bumper a little bit. What exhaust are you running?
So it's either an extended exhaust pipe tip or one that terminates at the bumper but is turned down? Currently, the car has headers with a rectangular exhaust tip that terminates at the bumper - but I'm not sure what brand the exhaust system is as it was installed by the PO.

I took a few pics of the exhaust pipe tip and put them on google drive which should work: Exhaust - Google Drive

·
Registered
70 Posts
So it's either an extended exhaust pipe tip or one that terminates at the bumper but is turned down? Currently, the car has headers with a rectangular exhaust tip that terminates at the bumper - but I'm not sure what brand the exhaust system is as it was installed by the PO.

I took a few pics of the exhaust pipe tip and put them on google drive which should work: Exhaust - Google Drive
Best thing to do is fix the leak.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yours should be good, any further and it will be a danger to your shins!
flowmaster 15380 might be an idea.
Is 15380 a part number for something? Also, with my exhaust pipe as-is I still get fumes in the cabin and every seal back there is brand new (taillight gaskets, inner/outer hatch seals, gromets on the hatch and sealed the inner vinyl panel with glue on the inside/tape on the outside.

·
Registered
70 Posts
jacobs6, are you trying to inform OP that the rear deck or taillight gaskets are leaking. Thought these cars were prone to aero forces wanting to push gases back into cabin. (??)
yes, with a window down there is a low pressure inside the car. However if sealed properly it will be fine. I know that it can be difficult to obtain. But the fumes are dangerous to your health.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes, with a window down there is a low pressure inside the car. However if sealed properly it will be fine. I know that it can be difficult to obtain. But the fumes are dangerous to your health.
Yep, it's really tough to find the leak - I've changed everything. If the flowmaster turn-down pipe is the answer you guys think I'll give it a shot.

Do I need to have the muffler shop extend the pipe tip or is the length of my current tip fine?

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you give this a shot? It seems like there would be too many not fully sealed areas in the car for it to pressurize to that degree. For example the holes behind the Z badges on the rear pillars, no?

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Never used a smoke machine and don't know if they have a fan, or much of one, but you could get the smoke going and use discharge of shop vac hose through a piece of cardbaord sealed to a window to pressurize more. If your shop vac has an outlet connector vs. many with just an outlet grill.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys,

I hear some folks swear by a "turn down" exhaust pipe tip to keep exhaust fumes out of the cabin on s30 cars. Has anyone tried one of these and can confirm it solves the exhaust fumes in the cabin problem?

If it does - which ones do you guys recommend that worked for you?

-chase
I tried that many years ago and it really did not help. Make sure your seals are in the best shape possible. It seemed to happen most when my widows were down. When using A/C it was not as noticeable.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I tried that many years ago and it really did not help. Make sure your seals are in the best shape possible. It seemed to happen most when my widows were down. When using A/C it was not as noticeable.
Did you see any smoke actually coming in with the smoke machine?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts