ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving home from work the other night, a Lexus IS300 came up beside me, and then had to get behind me. He wanted to play, so I obliged. As soon as the lane we were in cleared up, I hit it. As soon as I hit full boost, I looked in the mirror and saw him back there, but in front of his lights, I noticed that I was putting off some smoke... is this normal for a turbo? I don't remember seeing it before, but maybe I just didn't notice. I'm guessing turbo cars smoke a little, thats why after I polish my exhaust tips, they're black again shortly after...

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
I don't think it should smoke in any situation. (aside from the cndensation after start-up). The black on the exhaut tips is the result of carbon deposits, but will build up much faster if your car is smoking.

Post Edited (Jan 27, 12:37pm)

·
Registered
6,943 Posts
It isn't unusual for worn or old turbos to smoke for a milisecond the instant they go into heavy boost. However, if the smoke is constant your turbos have most likely blown a seal(s). Drive down an empty street with a friend watching from the curb as well as following from behind you. If it is a dark blue smoke that is emmitting during the duration you boost, you will have problems sooner than later.

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
almost every sports car is gonna put out a little something when you horse on the throttle - just as long as it doesnt linger.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kinda like blowing out the cobwebs then? I'll have AdrianGrey follow me when he get's his Z back from MWS and see what he can see.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
i remember one time i cleaned out my throttle bodies real good. Drove it for a while, then one day got on it hard, and look in my rearview mirror and dark grey smoke everywhere. Pretty neat i spose.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
At WOT and full boost your in the low 10.?'s A/F ratio range. At that point your not burning 100% of the fuel and there is a fair amount of black smoke that being generated. This is normal. If the smoke was blue and lingering, then I'd say oil. If it's been a long time since you've really opened it up, then it's built up oil in the intake being pulled through and burning off. It could be the PCV valves that are allowing oil to accumulate in the intake.

If it happens all the time, then it could be the turbo seals.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.