ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago I (a V8 guy until I bought my '84 turbo) was talking to a friend (a turbo guy who is also an automotive technician) about the importance of the exhaust system on my turbo car. He is of the opinion that a completely free flowing exhaust system may be a big performance mistake on a lightly modified turbo car as it will greatly reduce the car's low end power as the lack of exhaust will make it very hard for the turbo to spool up. He does agree that the top end for a free flowing car would be great as the turbo will be wound up enough to make a good amount of boost, but he strongly advised me to not do too much exhaust work. I am sure most people here will support the free flowing exhaust as it is often everyone's first modification, but is there truth in what he is saying? What would happen if I install a K&N filter and up my boost level without modifying the exhaust system? How restrictive is the stock muffler?

Thanks for all of your thoughts,
Jacob

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I always hear V-8 guyz (not to be mean) saying "you gotta have backpressure for your turbo to work". That is a bunch of bullhonkey. The more free flowing your exhaust is, the better your turbo will spool. The better your turbo spools, the more efficient it is...

·
Registered
397 Posts
got 3" on mine and it spools up instantly. as for low end torque just cant start out in second gear as easily asmy other z will.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Your freind needs to stick with V8 engines. As far as youre turbo is concerned, it would rather no exhaust, but 3 inch will be fine. Plus the exhaust turbine on the crappy T-3 Nissan decided to use on the Z31 creates PLENTY of backpressure.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. And not to be a dick or anything, but my friend who "needs to stick with V8's" daily drives an '87 Grand National that runs high 9's.

Thanks for all of the help,
Jacob

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe there was a misunderstanding here. He never said that back pressure was needed to spool the turbo, his exact words were "back pressure doesn't mean sh*t on a turbo car." Basically, his thoughts were that a turbo car can have an exhaust system that is more restricted than an N/A car and it will still run very well.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have decided I will be taking everyone's advice. Just out of curiosity though, what would happen if a person made several mods without upping their exhaust flow? For example, if a guy was to switch to a better flowing air filter and up the boost a few pounds while leaving on the stock exhaust system? Obviously the performance will suffer, but is there anything else that could happen?

Jacob

·
Registered
95 Posts
3 inch all the way back no cat no muffler, and cone filter pullin 14.8 with auto tranny. gotta love it!!
yeah my car has that come here and ill hand u ur @$$ sound too lol. plenty of lil hondas have found that out the hard way. havnt lost to a honda yet. lol funny story, i saw a sentra racing an integra and gettin the crap beat out of it time and time again, so i pulled up next to it, said "i saw u beat that nissan want to try ur luck with this one?" and that cocky sob said yeah id be easy. lol i didnt even try hard, i let the car shift on its own, and didnt even power brake ne. just pushed the gas when the light went green. all he saw was my tail lights. lol god i hate hondas.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey! I own a Honda, and it's awesome, goes from 0-60mph in like, 2 minuets, and it's a single fuel injector with a integra short shifter. Took out the AC to make it lighter too (not that there was AC to begin with). Power Windows, Power Locks, and Yellow Headlights to match the gold body. Got a universal rims on it and it hides the rotors too. Got a black spoiler that's 2 inches high off the trunk with rust on the body to lighten the body weight. I rev that thing to 6-7k rpm every time i enter the ramp. I can keep up with a Geo Prism even! lol... actually the worthless thing costed me 200 bucks, and i figured, well... it's a FF and serves my purpose of a winter beater since i don't need to wash it or anything.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.