Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guyz....
Getting my new (old) 83 280ZX checked out for inspection, i need an exhaust. Right now it;s stock.
I say 2 1/2 inch, mandrel bent with a Dynomax muffler.
My mechanic says, that won't do anything.
he says it's the same engine, it won't give you any more power.

Is he wrong? Am I wrong? Turns out this custom exhaust will be a LOT cheaper than factory items, like 100 bucks cheaper. Which is a lot when you make 7.10 an hour, right? Right.
SO. i'm getting the custom anyway, but can I tell him to go sh*t in the woodz or what?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well exhaust will give more power for easier flowing but up to a point it u go to big u loosee low end torque so be careful and i would tell your mechanic to go **** if hes says it won't make any difference!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RE: It WILL make a difference

The Z's have very restrictive exhaust systems. Free up the intake with a K&N filter and then run 2.25 or 2.5 mandrel bent to a flowmaster and you will have to give your mechanic a whole roll of toilet paper.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Matty-fire your mechanic!! Seriously, I would be concerned about the quality of advise this guy is giving you. In theory, he is right in that a pound of gas will only yield so much energy. The fact is that the easier is is to get air/fuel into the engine and the easier is is to get the burned mix out, the more fuel and air you can burn and that equals more power!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has been my experience that a free flowing exhaust makes an INCREADIBLE difference, a different you can FELL!

Scott Milella

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
RE: Why were they built this way?

Why were the Z's (or any car, really) built with tiny exhaust in the first place? Quieter running? Lower emissions? Lower cost?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RE: Exhaust = more Power? Yup

I ran a 6 to 1 header from motorsport, 2.25 exhaust, and magnaflow (never heard of it, buts its a nonbaffled, really nice flowing muffler. GREAT TONE). I noticed a definate difference after getting rid of that old exhaust manifold.

It's not really ONE mod that will make your car faster. It's a combination of things. Think of your Z engine as a massive AIR PUMP. More air outs nice, but only if you are pulling the air IN as well. So get a K&N filter and get rid of your big ugly blue box.

Brett

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HA! that's what i THOUGHT

what a load of horse ****.
I KNEW it was the way to go.
I think I'll tell him to o **** his pants when I see him tomorrow.
thanks guyz.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RE: Just throw him a roll of TP and don't go back.

Bad advice from your mechanic... Hmmm, not good. Look for another if he's not already a good friend.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts

Matty, I think I know what your mechanic is getting at. In a way he is right, you really will not be making any more HP. You will be moving things around a bit though and for the better. Torque and HP should peak and hold sooner. This is a difference you can feel and I mean big time. Go with all the quality you can afford though as a leaky, dragging exhaust is a PITA no matter how cool it sounds or how easy it revs.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Stainless steel 2.25 - 2.5 in exhaust with a 2 or 3 chamber flowmaster at the end. Nice set up!

Joe

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
RE: Exhaust = more Power? Yup

Brett,
Is the tone like a turbo muffler or a glass pack muffler? Also, which K & N filter replaces the blue box on my '78?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.