Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have, what seems to be a common problem, a broken stud on the rear end of
my exhaust manifold. Is there any relatively easy fix to this or must I remove the
whole manifold, which could cause more broken studs? I would leave it alone, but,
I now have an exhaust leak in that area. Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
> I have, what seems to be a common problem, a
> broken stud on the rear end of
> my exhaust manifold. Is there any relatively
> easy fix to this or must I remove the
> whole manifold, which could cause more
> broken studs? I would leave it alone, but,
> I now have an exhaust leak in that area.
> Thanks for any ideas.

If is not leaking don't fix it; other wise you are going to have to helicoil it before you warp the head. You could try this with the manifold on but I do'nt think you will have much room to work. By taking the manifolds (both have to come off) you can replace your gaskets and generally take a look around.

·
Registered
195 Posts
> I have, what seems to be a common problem, a
> broken stud on the rear end of
> my exhaust manifold. Is there any relatively
> easy fix to this or must I remove the
> whole manifold, which could cause more
> broken studs? I would leave it alone, but,
> I now have an exhaust leak in that area.
> Thanks for any ideas.

Let me guess, it's the bolt closest to the firewall. Well, you may have a bigger problem than you think, I sure did.

The problem is not just the broken bolt. It's that the manifold itself has changed shape and warped over time. It actually twist so to speak, and pulls away from the mounting area. Trust me, it only gets worse from here. You need to have the head removed, intake, and exhause manifold taken off, and the problem looked at closly. Maybe you get lucky, and your fine, but I'venever seen a case that the bolt broke and the manifold was alright. You can often have the manifold machined, and fitted correctly if you catch the problem early. If not, then you'll be spending big $$$'s to replace it. Mine was bad enough, to where I had to purchase a new one. I didn't want to take one off a parts car, and risk it again.

Let us all know how it turns out.

·
Registered
968 Posts
You might also want ot take a look at the first bolt (the one closest to the fan). I had the same problem as you and when I took both manifolds off I found that bolt 1 along with bolt 6 was broken off. After removing what was left of the bolts with a drill and easy-out and running a tap down the holes to ensure that they were ok, I ended up putting a header on. It has been running fine ever since. It takes 4-6 hours if you know what you are doing. Just remeber that the exhaust and intake manifolds share bolts. If bolt one is snapped off as well, make your life easier and remove the distributor and thermostat housing. GOOD LUCK!!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the input. Looks like now would be the time to consider a set of headers and a 2.25 inch exhaust. I'll start spraying the Liquid Wrench. I had been
holding off on installing my rear swaybar until I replaced the exhaust. My winter projects are adding up quickly.
Thanks, Dano

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Dano,
I just acquired an '82 280ZX with an exhaust manifold leak (yep...it looks like the bolt nearest the firewall broke off) I'm planning to remove the intake and exhaust manifolds but see only 4 (maybe 5) intake manifold bolts on top. Are there bolts underneath I can't see (or get at)? Did you have to remove the head? Thanks for your help
Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.