ZCar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been awhile since i've had time to work on my Z but my son has been bugging so here goes.

I cannot remember how i took this engine apart but basically i had to replace the exhaust manifold so right now the block sits in the car with no exhaust and no intake manifold.

To my question. There is a hard pipe coming off the manifold and i cannot get it off the old manifold. The new manifold didnt come with it. I have the O2 sensor, just need to know if i can buy the tube and what it is and where it goes. In the Haynes book, it looks to be the EAI pipe. cant find info on it though. Pic attached.

thank you,
IMG_9678.jpg

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's an EGR tube and connects to the bottom side of the intake manifold right under the EGR control valve. Not sure what year you're working with but it changes slightly due to the year and whether it's a Fed or CA car. Looks like it might be hard to find. I'd soak it with penetrating oil for a couple days then heat the heck out of the exhaust manifold and try to unscrew it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
That should be the EGR tube. On my 79 it goes up to and under the end of the intake manifold just below the EGR valve.

I think the are really hard to find depending on the fitting.

I pulled my EGR valve and it apparently was not working and completely closed off with build up.

I think I’m going to need a good torch for the fitting on the exhaust manifold, I’ve soaked an beat on mine a bit.

EGR in your pic circled, pipe come up right there on mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. It’s a 1982 CA 280z. I’ve soaked the nut in kroil for a bit and will try heat. Thank for the help.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
As "oregonipa" says it will probably be hard, if even possible, to find. And impossible to get out, I'd say.
There was a thread a couple of years ago about trying to find a fitting with the thread. It's an odd one -- not one listed in ALL the various thread charts.
If the tube is SS you would probably be better off cleaning out the tube, as you already have it off and crud can be removed from the manifold.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,334 Posts
If you can't get them apart, don't hesitate to find a good machine shop and have them tackle it,. They have more options than we do at home.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate the advice on separation. The nut is in pretty bad shape but I can live with that if I can get the threads loose.

Wondering if the threads on the new manifold are standard and I could thread a fitting to a hose to the EGR. I could cut the EGR nut off and adapt to hose. Someone mentioned the threads are non standard but I couldn’t tell if they meant one side or both.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Through searching online I see an M16 plug fits and I measured the threads at 1.25. Wondering if an M16 x 1.25 fitting would work. Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I appreciate the advice on separation. The nut is in pretty bad shape but I can live with that if I can get the threads loose.

Wondering if the threads on the new manifold are standard and I could thread a fitting to a hose to the EGR. I could cut the EGR nut off and adapt to hose. Someone mentioned the threads are non standard but I couldn’t tell if they meant one side or both.
If you really mean "hose", remember the existing is metal because of the exhaust temperature.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
It's a different location but this is the thread mentioned above
Just in case the whole EGR system threads are "odd".

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you really mean "hose", remember the existing is metal because of the exhaust temperature.
I figured. But with technology today, was thinking there may be a flexible and easily spliced alternative. This is seeming to be a bigger issue and has halted my plans to repair the car unless I can find a replacement or move out of CA.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's a different location but this is the thread mentioned above
Just in case the whole EGR system threads are "odd".
Thanks for this. I actually got an email today from MSA stating the port is 22mm x 1.25 on both exhaust and intake manifolds. So there’s a start. Maybe something by swagelok.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
found a tube on ebay that looks like its in good shape however it is for a 79-80 and i need it to fit an 82. Anyone know if there's a difference or will that part fit my Z? Exhaust manifold is an N48, intake is W24.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts