ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey my exhaust manifold gasket is starting to leak pretty bad. I need to replce but I was wondering if any of you guys that have done it already have some advice. Doesnt seem to hard but Im not a mechanic. I have the FSM that came with my 82 280zx. So I should have accurate data on changing but you never know if there are any known little problems I might have. Thanks for any advice for a little bit of a newbie mechanic. Thanks

Steven

· Registered
5,829 Posts
The hard part of the repair is the bolts off the exhaust flange on the exhaust manifold, and the EGR tube to the to the intake manifold. Spray wd40 or something on the bolts to help loosen them up. The EGR tube(if you do have one, cant remember on your car, will take a 1 1/6" wrench to get it off. Get the nut to turn some then vice grips work well to get it the rest of the way off, just dont buger up the bolt in the process.
Go with a stock Nissan gasket for your car. I have tried a number of gaskets and the Nissan one works the best. Check the exhaust to make sure it is not warped or you will have the same problem in a very short time. Get it resurfaced if it needs it.
Take the heat shield off to get to the bolts for the intake and exhaust manifolds first as it is much easier to get to the manifold bolts with it removed first.
hope that helps

· Registered
600 Posts
I would also start the tightening sequence in the middle and alternate end to end, just like tighting down a head. You may also consider replacing all bolts with studs (and replace the studs as well, as they will rust and weaken). Use anti-sieze compound on the nuts. Retighten after a couple of days of running/cool-down cycles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.