ZCar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I finally got sick of exhaust fumes in the cabin and ripped the car apart after changing all the usual suspects but to no avail (inner/outer hatch seal, glass seal, taillight gaskets, sealed hatch vinyl panel, hatch grommets, etc).

I found leaks in places I didn't expect by putting my LED flashlight under the car/in the wheel well/above the gas tank/etc and saw light shining through - which were my exhaust leaks. I also did this with the flashlight inside the car facing the floor and got under the car to look for light pinholes.

Here are the unconventional areas I had leaks which you should check if you have this issue after changing your rubber:
  • vapor tank floor grommets - one had a half inch dry rotted hole in it
  • fuel filler neck's body grommet merge points
  • seam sealer in the passenger side area below the vapor tank
  • license plate light power wire body grommet (wide open)
Without using the trick with my LED flashlight I would have never found any of these. Some people try a smoke machine and vacuum but this just seems easier and more definitive. Give this trick a shot.

Happy hunting!

-chase

·
Registered
10 Posts
Screenshot_20201113-115202_Chrome.jpg

I'm working on the same project and have done a lot of the same - replaced taillight gaskets, rubber grommets here and there, shift and E-brake boot seals, etc.
In order to test my handy work, or lack there of, I purchased an automotive co2 detector off Amazon for $33.00 Abit pricey yes, but how else are we to know if the work we are doing is enough to make the car safe for us and our loved ones?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts