ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having trouble with exaust fumes leaking into my cabin. There are no leaks in the exaust sytem, the fire wall is tight (after much checking) and the fumes seem to be coming from the rear. Anybody have this problem before? What can I do?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> check your rear tail light seals I was told
> by my brother when his seals were bad he had
> this problem
definately check all seals,weather stripping, and look for any holes in the rear cargo area. I'm no expert on aerodynamics,but as you move throgh the air(driving) you create a pocket of swirling air on the tail end of the car so the fumes linger around there a bit before they move on, some brain surgeons up here had their kids in the back of their truck in a conopy and after a long drive the kids had died from carbon monoxide poisoning, the parents thought the kids had fallen sleep (in fact they had, carbon monoxide will make you drowsy at first) sad but true story.

·
Registered
399 Posts
> I'm having trouble with exaust fumes leaking
> into my cabin. There are no leaks in the
> exaust sytem, the fire wall is tight (after
> much checking) and the fumes seem to be
> coming from the rear. Anybody have this
> problem before? What can I do?
I find that when I drive with the under dash vent open, it changes the pressure in the car and I don't get exhaust fumes. I drive withe vent open all the time. However, I live in Florida, so this is no problem

·
Registered
439 Posts
you most likely have bad rubber gaskets either around your hatch or the rear tail lights, this is a common problem as the rubber deteriates in older Z-cars, there are several companies that sell after market rubber gaskets for Z's, one note using silcon to build up the gaskets will probably not work and just leave you with a big ugly mess. If you need a source for the gaskets let me know

·
Registered
107,695 Posts

Same problem with my 73. I know I need to replace all my seals, but in the meantime I put one of those chrome tailpipe extensions on, the ones that angle the exhaust down to the ground. It made a difference, but I still get a whiff if I just roll down the drivers side window. I also found a black rubber plug missing in the spare tire well.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> definately check all seals,weather
> stripping, and look for any holes in the
> rear cargo area. I'm no expert on
> aerodynamics,but as you move throgh the
> air(driving) you create a pocket of swirling
> air on the tail end of the car so the fumes
> linger around there a bit before they move
> on, some brain surgeons up here had their
> kids in the back of their truck in a conopy
> and after a long drive the kids had died
> from carbon monoxide poisoning, the parents
> thought the kids had fallen sleep (in fact
> they had, carbon monoxide will make you
> drowsy at first) sad but true story.

I had a similar problem in my '83 280z. Remove the capeting and pad and carfully check the cargo compartment for even the smallest holes. Seal any you find. Also, I added a downturned tail pipe extension. You can get a nice crome one from any auto store. This will help deflect the fumes down and away from the body of the car.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Same problem with my 73. I know I need to
> replace all my seals, but in the meantime I
> put one of those chrome tailpipe extensions
> on, the ones that angle the exhaust down to
> the ground. It made a difference, but I
> still get a whiff if I just roll down the
> drivers side window. I also found a black
> rubber plug missing in the spare tire well.

Also make sure that the underside panel of your hatch is sealed. The fumes can come right through the hatch mechanism which is wide open and into the car if that panel isnt sealed.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> you most likely have bad rubber gaskets
> either around your hatch or the rear tail
> lights, this is a common problem as the
> rubber deteriates in older Z-cars, there are
> several companies that sell after market
> rubber gaskets for Z's, one note using
> silcon to build up the gaskets will probably
> not work and just leave you with a big ugly
> mess. If you need a source for the gaskets
> let me know
Greetings,---I would like to know of a good source for gaskets. Lew

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Greetings,---I would like to know of a good
> source for gaskets. Lew
Tweeks 800.428.2200
Victoria British 800.255.0088
Arizona Z-Car 602.844.9677
Motorsport 800.633.6331
your local Nissan dealer??

I do not know which of the above is selling NOS and which are aftermarket gaskets & seals. Though all of my cars need new seals, I have not bought them yet so I cannot make any recomendations.

tomh

·
Registered
439 Posts
There are three places that I know of that sell the rubbere gasket sets for the earily 240z. The first is Motorsport Auto in Orange, CA 800-633-6331, personally I have ordered alot of parts from them with out any problems. Second is Victoria British in Lenox, Kansas, 800-255-0088, I have bought some parts through them with no problems and a friend of mine has bought alot for his MG with good results. Lastly is Classic Parts and Restoration which I found on the web at <A HREF=http://users.desupernet.net/cpr/index.htm>http://users.desupernet.net/cpr/index.htm</A> I havent bought anything through them yet but I have plans to, they have good prices and seem to be knowledgeable about the Z. Small one person operation from what I can gather. One note, I am restoring my Z and i don't race it so there are probably some varying opinions out there about parts suppliers.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I ahd this problem until I restored mine. There were holes(huge ones I might add) underneath the hatch carpet next to the taillights. patched them and problem was solved

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
If what I'm hearing in this thread is true, then I have some serious leaks in my interior - thought it was my exhaust, but everyone who's had this problem has fixed it with interior seals. Classic Parts & Restoration sells a kit - this is what they advertise:
70-78 240Z/260Z/280Z
$225.00 220-0033 weatherstip kit, 15 pieces

This is for the two-seater only. The weatherstrip kit includes the following gaskets: cowl to hood, windshield glass, right and left door openings, right and left door lower seal, right and left door tops(for 260Z and 280Z), right and left quarter window to body, hatch glass, hatch opening, center outer hatch opening and right and left outer hatch opening.
For those of you who have done this, is this a good deal and , like am I in for a nightmare project?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.