ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
7,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://velocity.websitegalaxy.com/mbc.html

I was looking for a cheap boost contoler and this is what I found. Looks pretty easy and cheap to build, which is right down my alley :)

So does anyone have any experiance with this type of controller?

Justin T
'77 280Z
'80 280ZX

· Registered
7,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ever tried this boost controller(sorry n/c)

· Registered
5,829 Posts
I did not look at the boost controller, but I do have a controller I was wanting to try on a z car. The unit is made by SAAB and it is called an APC. the unit is stand alone. The components are a knock sensor, a map sensor, the control box, the vacuum relay and the wire harness.
The unit monitors engine RPM, boost pressure, and the knock, so when the engine starts knocking because of the boost levels, it cuts back the boost until the engine stops knocking.
This is a very attractive addon to a turbo application as it will enable the turbo to provide max boost at all engine rpms(within the boost abilities of the turbo) and stop knock at the turbo boosting.
This is also very attractive when you think that it is done automaticaly so if you run 87 gas it works if you run 91 gas it compensates for the better gas, also one other thing that is really cool is that it will compensate the boost levels from say 5000 feet to say sea level without having to adjust timing or all that fun stuff (within reason)
You can check it out on the net, just look under SAAB APC on a search. You can get all the components at the junk yard cheap, and the best part ofthe thing is that it is adjustable to your application by tweeking a couple variable resistors in the box.
Check it out.

· Registered
5,829 Posts
Re: jeffp

Well I have all the stuff to do the job. I am not sure if I am going to put it on my zcar, but it sure will be able to go on my volvo. I like the system, sounds like a very good upgrade for a turbo car, just think, you could run your stock turbo to what ever the engine could handle and not worry about it.
I was considering getting these things and putting together a kit and selling it for about 200.00 complete, but I just dont know if there is that much demand for them, and I would have to really work hard to get them from the Junk yards around in my area, but hey if you guys like them, I can do a custom zcar install kit and it would be a plug and play system.

· Registered
492 Posts

..i have a link that some had showing where he just cut out a piece of his wastegate linkage,threaded 2 0f the pieces, and put a coupler in between them to adjust the length of it.....i was gonna do it (still might)..but i've just ordered the $100 one from motorsport...gonna try it...people ive talked to have 'em and like 'em pretty well.....s

· Registered
1,989 Posts

$200 sounds like a fairly decent price if you were going to put together a kit. When I get some free money I think I'm going to pick up the supplies myself and see if I can rig it up to my car...if you do it before I do, let us know how it works out. Like I said, it really sounds too good to be true, but from reading through endless web pages about this thing, it looks like it otta do the trick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.