ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm new to this forum and as my signature implies, i don't drive a z but a 69 510 w/ a "euro-spec" vg30 in it. i have done much searching on various forums and can not find any published differences on the euro spec engine other than the 264/262 duration cams. does anyone know if there are other differences? Compression ratio? cyl heads? although i'm taking the previous owners word on the source of the engine i do believe that the cams are 'hotter' as it barely idles below 1100 rpm (no vac leaks, i checked) and seems a little flat below 3400rpm at which point all heck breaks loose and away it goes. any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,390 Posts
The only diff. I can remember is the cams...one main diff. in cars released in the US market, and ones released in the Euro market, have to deal with high end speeds. Because Europe has the Autobahn, cars might have hotter cams or something similar to help make higher end power, or might have a bigger radiator to help with advanced cooling at high speeds, stuff like that. I know the Z32s in Europe had bigger radiators for that reason. You can hop that motor up just the same as any US market VG30.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, thats kinda what i thought. so it looks like i would need to buy pistons to raise c.r. i'm an NA guy all the way so no turbo's for me.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Author: benz-tech
Date: Nov 12, 10:41am

thanks, thats kinda what i thought. so it looks like i would need to buy pistons to raise c.r. i'm an NA guy all the way so no turbo's for me.

VG30510 if you want a car to go faster, remove a thousand pounds or so

boy are you missin out!! Re-think that Turbo mentality. Most people like interiors, and gutting a Street 300zx is silly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the thousand pounds that are missing is in the form of a '69 510 that my vg30 is in. 2,100 lb curb weight. i know that it's a personal thing but i HATE turbo lag, mostly at the apex of a turn where i can modulate the throttle of a NA engine, but have been left facing the wrong way in my mr2 turbo when the boost hits, (no need for discussing how ass-happy a mr2 is) a powerful (for a 510) NA engine means no surprises, just smooth roll on of power. maybe with more driving practice on a turbo i would get used to it but i still prefer high compression, big cams and headers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.