ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
k today i lost to a z32 with dual 3 inch exhuast no cats UR pulleys and....i think thats it...not bad to lose to with a STOCK z31...but i get this hinkering feeling that if i had my 240sx it woulda been **** close if not a win..its not that i lost thats the problem..its the fact that this guy was a dick and didnt seem to know much bout z's he didnt respect his elders well say and i didnt teach him any either... so i was soo pissed...i just want that 240...

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
17_6 wrote:

>
> didnt seem to know much bout z's

neither do you!!! if you have a stock Z what are you doing racing a z32!!!!! at $2.50 a gallon of gas you are simply wasting your money!!
and why again would the 240 be a closer race???

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
A 240 would lose just as bad if not worse to a Z32

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oh ya that was when i first got my car lol...oh and by the way dom dog...im sorry i may not have specified...it was a z32 n/a and why was i racing it...i dunno folks i really dont but if anyone knew their ****....A 240SX STOCK HAS OVER AND OVER AGAIN SLAYED THE 84-89 ZS STOCK N/A...time and time again...it is a sad tale...but what do yall expect... 155hp 160 some odd torque..in a 2700 pound car...recipe for a slayin on n/a 300's and i wouldve kept up with him better for all that doubt it...i think i raced him cause of his skill level most of all...you shoulda seen it...i was ahead all through first then a car came in front of me and i had to stop...he woulda reeled me in at top end no doubt but for a sec i was thinkin i may slay this bitch...then VROOOOOOOOOOOOM....and i knew the outcome lol...and whoever posted my old team pic is gay cause ummmm..we had a new team pic too maybe..not for sure on it..but the team ended up consisting of a toyota mk2 (85 celica supra for all who dont know) a 03' chevy jbody and me

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
k theres this for those of you who dont know about the power of a 240 compared to the 300...click on all specs or what ever on the side for anything else that matters i guess...but there it is for some of yall too 220hp and i was ahead of him and stayin with him other wise...it wasnt a bad race at all ...cept for it wasnt a complete one but dont knock on me for holdin my own with a z32

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
NA Z32 has 222hp.The only 240s ive raced ive beaten. If your running 17.6's then ya a 240 will beat you, but a stock NA Z31 should be about even if not faster.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fraid not red beauty...and by the way IM IN COLORADO have you not read the thousand previous posts ive left...and tell me this....y would a n/z z31 beat a 240? in what loop hole of physics does the z31 take advantage of to win this race??

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
well my Z31 with just intake and muffler runs low 16's, most 240s ive seen run slower then me. My friend has an 89 240SX SE , weve raced 3 or 4 times and every time I get him by a car or 2. Also a NA Z31 dosnt way 3400lbs, depending on the year but mine ways about 3000 even.

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Lets settle this a little. Most people say they beat the 240sx with their Z31 but don't realize there are two different versions. In Red's example he beat an 89 which back then only had the SOHC 140hp version motor. Now do some spec comparing and it isn't hard to see how a z31 with a couple mods can beat a 140hp 240sx. The Z31 would have enough hp to overcome the weight difference to pull out a victory. Now lets look at the 91+ version. It was a DOHC with 155hp and 160 torque with an optional LSD. In a stock vs race this 240sx would pull the Z31 by a few tenths of a second. It's got a good weight advantage with nearly the same hp and torque of the Z31 not to mention if it has the lsd will be able to launch a little better. Red is right about a Z31 n/a not weighing 3400lbs. The 84 was the lightest weighing in at about 3000lbs and the 89 coming in at about 3200lbs and some change. Various things change the weight like t-tops, tranny, Gl or Gll, etc. Still the 240sx will have about a 300+ weight advantage so the S14 in stock form will beat a Z31 and the S13 SOHC will tie or get edged out by a Z31. As for the Z32 you raced there was no way you were going to win from the start unless the guy sucked at driving. Even if you had a 240sx you would have been wasted. Z31 at 16.4, S14 at 16.0, and Z32 at 15.2. So with the mods it had it was probably running mid to high 14's judging from what I've read on the 90+ forum. That would be almost 2 secs faster than your z31 or about 1.5 secs faster than a 240sx. Either way you would have been screwed. The only thing I can say is that the 240sx will have a much better time yeilding hp from mods than the z31. You can get that KA up to 250hp with out a turbo where as the Z31n/a with full mods will only hit 200 or less. If you want a 240sx go get one. You may find you don't like it as much as the Z31 or you may like it more. Personaly out of the Z31, Z32, 240sx, and S30 Z the S30 beats them all in "feel" factor. Maybe you should look into those too. Light weight, decent stock hp, tons of things you can do for power, and when set up right can out handle almost anything. Not to mention the looks you will get from driving in one and the lovely sound of a modded I6 engine.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
280Z/300ZX is right, I know id probably lose to a newer 240SX, but SOHCs I can beat fairly easy.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
yeah.... when i first got my liscense... i tried to race everything in site...

until i got my first speeding ticket.....lol.

anywho, ive smoked 3 z32's in my s30, not by a longshot, but pretty **** good. i thought i was gonna get my ass handed to me by these punks, but my trusty (and rusty) ol' l6 pulled through!

i love weighing 2700lbs..

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
I here you on that La280ZzZz. When I first got my 300zx at 17 it was such a big difference from my 95 toyota 4 banger that I was speeding everywhere. Luckily nothing ever happened and I learned to slow down as I got older. Still, it's hard sometimes not to feed a little speed to my Z's.

As for Z32's I've only ever ran 2 and both times I was in my 280z. The first was a Z32 with intake and exhuast. Had him by 1 and a half cars by 70mph where he let off. The second time I ran a stock Z32 from a rolling start of about 30mph up to 100mph. Stayed ahead of him the whole time with just the front half of my car sticking out ahead. We both gave the thumbs up and let off. Not hard to beat a Z32 n/a even slightly modded when you have 170 to the wheels with a weight of 2580lbs. I love these old I6's.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ya i know all bout dem 240s 280z/300zx but you put it quite well...folks on thing thatll help you with the 240 racing for my 300 n/a bros lol is the faces on the 240s...the model of fastbacks befor the 91 to 93's also knkown as the sohcs have what they call a pigface there are two long vents between the headlights ...this is the sohc engine that yes even my slow ass can beat...but tell me 280 what in the world is the s30???

·
Registered
5,263 Posts
Well remember that not all 91-93's were SOHC. Starting in 91 they had the DOHC as an option along with the LSD. So beware pulling up to one. If it's an SE model chances are it's the DOHC. As for the S30 that is the same thing as Z32 or Z31. S30= 70-78 Z or in other words the 240z, 260z, and 280z. The S130 was the 280zx. The reason that S30 stands for all three models between the 70-78 years is becuase essentially the body never changed in Japan. Over there they never got the 280z as the 74-78 was the 260z. They also never had the safety regulations impossed on them that the US versions did so they all have the nice skinny bumpers of the 240z. Thats the main reason the 280z is not that desirable becuase of the large bumpers and heavy weight (2750lbs compared to the 240z of 2250-2400lbs). Still what uninformed people don't know is that if you take a 240z and drop in the L28 from the 280z, tranny from the 280z, and diff from the 280z the 240z weight goes up to about 2400-2500lbs. Yet on the 280z if you remove the heavy bumpers and put 240z bumpers on and remove the A/C (240z didn't come with a/c from factory) the 280z can be dropped to 2600lbs. So basicly the 280z can still be just as good as the 240z. Anyway back to the S30 thing, sense the body wasn't changed the chasis code remained S30. Stock the 240sx DOHC will beat the S30 but once mods start coming into the picture it's all about who spends more money. Same goes for turbos swaps into either the 240sx or S30. Also becuase both are such light weight cars you don't need to get as much hp from them to get them to move fast. It's not uncommon for a S30 with basic mods to run 14's. With my set up at sea level, check sig, it will hit low 15's all day and maybe even a high 14 if I'm lucky. Won't ever know unless I actually go to a sea level track but what ever. You should visit the 70-83 forum more often if you are curious as to what these cars can do. Actually about half way down on the first page right now there is a guy that just posted his first track times. With intake, exhuast, header, 10lb flywheel, and stronger clutch he hit a 15.0. Thats not bad for his first time at the track. Mid to high 14's are easily in his future with some practice. Anyway let me know if you have more questions.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
lol

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you want it hybrid...2200 obo..its got a damned good interior and the engine starts and runs like a champ still...f*** nitrous..great idea a inexpensive boost for about a couple dozen runs then nothing ....id rather have a turbo...y dont you...just trade me i wouldnt complain at all

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.