ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The service manual describes the method to balance and adjust the stock carbs on my Z, and says to use a 'flow meter' .. how much do these cost, and where should I get one? I'd really like to get mine tuned up properly, and taking it to the shop just doesn't seem right..

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
> The service manual describes the method to
> balance and adjust the stock carbs on my Z,
> and says to use a 'flow meter' .. how much
> do these cost, and where should I get one?
> I'd really like to get mine tuned up
> properly, and taking it to the shop just
> doesn't seem right..

The flow meter I have is called a 'Carbalancer' and is made by Gunsons, a UK company (lots of british cars with twin SU's). I bought mine from an Autopro store (I'm in Australia), it cost $50 - about $30 US.

I have seen service manuals for SU carbs which show how to balance carbs by listening through a length of tube stuck in the carb inlet. When the hissing is at the same volume in each carb then the carbs are flowing the same amount of air. Apparently it is not critical to get the flow to match exactly.

Gunsons also make a great product called a 'ColourTune'. This is a spark plug with a window in it so you can see the colour of the combustion flame. It will tell you instantly whether you are running lean or rich. and you can adjust each carb separetly by moving the 'ColourTune' between one of the front three and one of the back three cylinders. Mine cost $70 (Australian).

·
Registered
418 Posts
Flow meter

The kind of flow meter you want is call a syncrotester. It will synshronize both carbs. Motorsport Auto sells it and restoration parts for your Z. I know because I deal with them all the time. Order the cataloge. 1-800-633-6331

·
Registered
403 Posts
> doesn't seem right..

Any decent import parts store should carry them. They run about 30 dollars US. Ask for a Unisyn Gauge, it's a pretty simple cheap ass tool and personally I feel 30 bucks is too much to pay for it, but it does get the job done and I trust it a little more than listening through a tube. There is a better type available (synchronizer I believe it's called) but it runs in the 70 dollar US range. I've heard it works far better though.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
> doesn't seem right..

I'm not sure of the current cost at Motorsport but they sell them, I have one but quit using it.
I don't like the tool myself and use a manometer (it's what is used for syncing motorcycle carbs and multicarb car setups. It's just 4 tubes with mercery in them that attaches to the intake manifold or carb vacume to mesure the vacume per/carb or per/intake runner for the tripple mikuni/weber setups. It's much better, more accurate and can cut time in half for syncing multicarbs. I can sync my tripple Mikuni setup in less than 10 min. with this tool and do it far better than can be done with the unisync gauge. You can get a manometer at a local motorcycle shop for around 60.00 or so, it costs a little more but it's worth the extra $$ in ease of use and accuracy.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
> I'm not sure of the current cost at
> Motorsport but they sell them, I have one
> but quit using it.
> I don't like the tool myself and use a
> manometer (it's what is used for syncing
> motorcycle carbs and multicarb car setups.
> It's just 4 tubes with mercery in them that
> attaches to the intake manifold or carb
> vacume to mesure the vacume per/carb or
> per/intake runner for the tripple
> mikuni/weber setups. It's much better, more
> accurate and can cut time in half for
> syncing multicarbs. I can sync my tripple
> Mikuni setup in less than 10 min. with this
> tool and do it far better than can be done
> with the unisync gauge. You can get a
> manometer at a local motorcycle shop for
> around 60.00 or so, it costs a little more
> but it's worth the extra $$ in ease of use
> and accuracy.

I got a manometer from the place I work, but it is a single tube which is oil filled (Measures inches of water). I think it should work, but I am wondering where to attach the end of the tube. If the vacuum is too high I have a bottle of mercury I can put in the tube in place of the oil. Any help would be great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.