ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any ideas on what might cause that? The only things I can think of currently is that the fuel pump might be the culprit, unless something else decided to be problematic all this sudden. I was truckin' down the highway, turning slightly high revs.. not really (only 4500), in third gear accellerating when it just stopped accel, and slowed down quite a bit. This is an auto, so I took and put overdrive back on, tried pumping the gas as I'm decel'ing, and still nothing. I slow down to about 47mph, and notice I have a little control. Pulled over to the side of the road, checked to make sure I wasn't smoking, or leaking, and everything seems like it's working as it should. As long as I'm below 1900 rpms, it works. As soon as I try to get over that, it just bogs down, almost like it's not getting enough fuel. In my 280zx this happened once, and it turned out that it was just the connector at the AFM. Is this something known to happen with the 300zx? Thanks!

·
Registered
793 Posts
It is the MAS or MAF Which is what I think your calling the air flow meter!
That's what causes that

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Yep, that sounds like the culprit. Also check the wiring and the connection like you thought. It seems to be a common problem with the z31...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just saying that it seemed a lot like when the AFM went out in my 280zx, not that this had an AFM. I didn't know if it was a MAS or MAF, though. Either way, it was the culprit. Switched it out with one from the parts car (after pulling the error codes.) Also found out that the throttle valve switch had failed as well. Sure glad I bought that parts car for $200 now. Heh. Anything else that commonly goes out on these that I should keep in mind? Thanks.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yeah its the MAF the 86 NA i just bought has the same problem. I pulled the engine codes and only the MAF code is coming up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.