ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,I have been reading you'r guys posts for a while and have a question,I am new to the wholeZ car thing and am new to being a mechanic so please bear with me.I'm 17 and have a 1984 Turbo with 196,000 miles on it.I got it this year,The body is in really good shape,when I bought it [$1700]it needed a new clutch and ball joints and a few other things,Luckly for me my uncle who is a master mechanic[He's been tinkering cars all his life,he had a hot rodded chevele back in the day]and has a lift helped me fix all that for the cost of the parts,I have also replaced the master and slave cylinders for the clutch with thehelp of my dad.

Anyway I'm am thinking of having the engine rebuilt this winter if I can get a winter job.I want to increase the power and speed of my car and the easiest and cheapest way it seems is to modify the current engine I looked at this guide http://z31.com/faq/turbo.faq.shtml
and It seems I'll need a new ECU,and Fuel injectors maybe a few other small things. Is there a kit out there that has all I'll need or will I have to buy ithem all seperat?Becouse It says you can use the injectors off a supra that you can probly find at a junkyard but when I looked at supra injectors there were a lot of them,so If I have to buy all the parts seperate would you guys help me figure out what I need?I was thinking of sending In my old ECU into jim wolf to be reprogramed or would I have to buy a new one?I plan on using the stock turbo at [14 psi of boost,It's set at ten now] for now as I can't afford a bigger one yet.You'r help is apreciated,how much do you think it will cost to supe the engine up?[excluding the cost of the engine rebuild?]I don't want to build a drag racer I just want a car that can run with mustangs and camaroes.Oh when I have the engine rebuilt what compretion ratio should I have it bult to?8:1 or 9:1?

·
Registered
958 Posts
I'm not sure you want to do any modifications that will decrease the gas milage. I'm pretty sure you can get 350-400 hp easy with stock injectors so I wouldnt worry about it to much.
<http://z31.com/faq/turbo.faq.shtml>
As you said, this is a very good guide. I think it ends up costing quite a bit more than him, but start with exhaust, then intake and go from there. Your car may already have 3in exhaust. I'd check up on that. But if your going to be paying for this yourself, I think you're going to be having a hard time. I'd save up, and in the summer work alot, and then buy a few mods. Glad you got a Z, very nice car. Good luck.

·
Registered
958 Posts
<http://www.az-zbum.com/modification.engine.swap.shtml>
<http://www.az-zbum.com/modifications.shtml>

your right 85zx... Like 3 or 4 ppl have asked JUST this week about swapping an engine.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Why do you want to rebuild your engine?

Are you looking at modding your stock engine?

Or are you looking at new turbo, intercooler, etc...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I want to upgrade my engine for more power so I can be on par with mustanges and cammaroes.I am going to rebuild the engine becouse I figured since it has 196 thousand miles on it it should probly be rebuilt when I do the rest of the stuff.The thing is It list what I need but but no actual part numbers example it says you need bigger injectors and a new ECU from Jim wolf but when I go on his sight there a ton of different injectors and Ecus to choose from,and If there are some different and cheaper stuff that is as good or nearly as good that I could use I'd like to know,The guide did say I would need bigger injectors to get more than about 300 flywheel HP in which case the injectors would be at 100 percent and be under a ton of stress,and I'd need a new ECU to get more than 12PSI of boost,So It looks like I'll need a new injector for sure and an ECU.If I knew which injectors to look for I could look at junkyards and ebay ect to save money,basically I'm looking for the best bang for the buck to up my cars performance.I did look through the forums messages to try to find the answers but I couldn't so I posted this,If I missed them and made a few people get some gray hairs I'm sorry,I'll buy them some Just for men Lol.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The injectors you want from Jim Wolf Techonology are the 420cc one's. You'll also need a ECU from an 88-89 300ZX. Don't forget to get the dropping resistors too.

Redz31.com is a good example of how to build a 12 sec Z31 with an inexpensive budget.

Don't forget, if you plan on running over 10psi, to get an intercooler.

After 12 psi, the stock turbo is just making more hot air then anything else.

Also, what's your HP goal?

Post Edited (Oct 7, 6:54pm)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay thanks for you'r help and advice,I really don't have a certain horspower goal in mind I guess I'm trying to get the most for the cheapest lol,like if it cost $2000 to get 400 HP and $3500 to get 450HPI'd opt for the 400 HP.
Um Z31_Driver do you happen to have a ballpark of how much the injectorsand ECU from Jim Wolf would cost?Also are there anyother injectors from other cars that would be nearly or as good?I'm asking becouse being on a limeted budget If I could get some parts used from a junkyard or ebay Ect it would really help.BTW does the ECU from Jim wolf have a spead limiter?
I forgot to mention [must be tired]Is that when I got the car it had an electric fan installed,and a K&N air filter as well as the after market boost guage and system[not sure what systemis installed] ,I don't know about the exhaust,when the car was on the lift I looked at it and it has 3 bends in it,I thought the high flow systems were all straight,but I might be wrong,How could I tell if it is stock?and if it is could I just remove the hole ehaust system?I heard that a turbo is pretty quite and I might not nead it,also I live In Michigan so we don't get emision tested so I could get away with it.
Sorry If I ask stupid questions this is pretty new to me.
Thanks for all the advice so far.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The JWT ECU, has no speed limiter, raises the rev limiter to 7,000 rpms, new fuel map and timing map to run on 91+ octane.

420cc injectors from them run $100.00 each

Dropping resistors (need 6) $3.00 each

Ford Mustang Cobra MAF with harness adapter costs $325.00

You'll have to find your own 88-89 ECU

If your gonna do the JWT 450 kit, call 1-800-nissan-1 and find out if your car had the fuel injector recall done.

Also, if you plan on going over 300 HP, you might want to get a different transmission because the BW T-5 is WEAK!

·
Registered
353 Posts
your better off going with a z32 afm as they are easily attanaible , but if you got with the jwt package you need the ford one , go to z31.com , there go to modifications , and after that go to intercooler and turbo stuff , in there theres a link to how to get the jwt injectors and afm for cheaper , jwt is one of the most expensive but easiest way to do it a fuel pump from a z32(twinturbo) will be required , get one from ebay or the walbro pump for a 240sx , there are other ways to tune you ecu to run bigger injectors and different afm's , but you will need to learn quite a bit , practically if you want save yourself money you are going to have some patience and almost know your whole inside and out , one way is to use a romulator , there info about that in redz31.com , you should change your turbo if you are going to want 400+ hp , you turbo will only make enough for maybe 310hp and alot of heat if you are lucky at 14psi , and plusif you are going to take your engine out you might as well change it while you are rebuilding, you should start looking into the little stuff as early as possible until you get everything together , about your exhaust , the only way to know if its not the original is by seeing how thick iot is , i live florida and we dont have emmisions either i cut mine out a put straight thru mufflerr instead , with turbos you want as little backpressure as possible period , there is books and websites you can check out to get more info on this , i didnt know jasck about z31 until about eight monts ago when i got my n/a i googled 300zx and z31 until i came up wuith some pretty neat websites with alot of info. good luck , and its really not complicated if you take your time and learn.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay thanks for all you'r help guys,I decided I'm going to rebuild the engine first as I'm sure thereis some power loss after 192000 miles also I might get it bored out to 3.2 liters ,what compression ratio should I go for when the time comes?9:1 or what?wouldn't 9:1 give a bit more power than the stock 7:1?
After the engine I'll upgrade the rest.It will probly be a while before I can raise the money,unless somebody here would like to buy a kidney or mysoul LOL.
I was checking ebay and there are lots of buisnesses selling used car parts like injectors ect,Is there a way to tell if the injectors would fit my z?there are some good deals out there.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Remember, when you bore the cylinders out, there getting weaker. If you have a turbo, it's best to have a lower compression. Leave the higher compression for naturally asprirated cars.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.