ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '85 NA has been running great fo r the past 4wks, aside from a wavering idle. I was trying to fix the idle, so went looked in my Haynes manual and followed the directions. HOwever I could not disconnect the "idle-up" seloniod, and stopped trying in fear of breaking it. So I went back and connected the battery. Well later that night I tried to start the car adn it had a rough start and when it did start it kept bogging down to 400-500rpm. So turned it off and went in a friends car. So today I decided to see what is going wrong and the car started just like i mentioned but then after it died out it wouldnt start again. The enigne wont turn over, it will crank but but not turn over and start. I looked in teh engine and noticed that by the "idle-up" seloniod there is a single wire that goes from it to the alternator, and the connector broke, so i reconnected it but nothing changed.

Does anyone have any ideas on whats wrong, becasue I have to leave the place im staying at shortly and am under a tight time frame. Teh only thing i could think that is the matter is the batter or alternator but i dont see how since it worked perfectly unitl i tried to change the idle speed yesturday.

·
Registered
782 Posts
If it turns over its not your battery or your alternator check and make sure you didnt unplug anything, your car will not run with the idle controll disconnected or hooked up wrong. I dont know what you mean by the wire going to the alternator? I would get rid of that wire and just look at the color of the wires and reconnect them just match the colors, it sounds like somebody has messed with the wiring at some point. Make sure there is no broken wires or broken pins inside the connector.

Post Edited (Feb 14, 8:53pm)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
like i said, i didnt disconnect anything because i didnt want to break it. The alternator has two wiere going to it, one is a ground on top of it and the other goes to teh harness of the idle up selanoid.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
yeah thanks........that's the reason I had to replace it, just about 2000 miles after replacing my timing belt and all applicable seals. Of course, the alternator was too far gone to be saved.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After checking the engine again today and looking at the ECU, is the red and green light suupose to blink at the same time or separtley cuz it kept going together so technically i got codes for 31, 44, 55??.

Here's a pic of the situation. The yellow arrow points to that wire that snapped but is back on. The big blue arrow pionts to the idle up solenoid wire harness i was attempting to disconnect, ant the little blue points to teh idle up solenoid valve that the wires connect to. Is it possible that I did break teh coils in the wire harness? I've tried searching for it but can tfind it and autozone and places dont carry it. So if that is the part that i need to replace, how easy is it to replace?

http://www.brentroad.com/photos/00383219.jpg

Post Edited (Feb 15, 3:44pm)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.