ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an early 260 (with the 240 carbs) that I may have to swap a 240 engine (long block) into. What compatability problems might I encounter? And about how long should it take two reasonably mechanically inclined men, with a good stock of hand tools to do? TIA.

Mike Palma
[email protected]

·
Registered
205 Posts
> I have an early 260 (with the 240 carbs)
> that I may have to swap a 240 engine (long
> block) into. What compatability problems
> might I encounter? And about how long should
> it take two reasonably mechanically inclined
> men, with a good stock of hand tools to do?
> TIA.

> Mike Palma
> [email protected]
mike, it should bolt right up. it should take 6 to 8 hours on the high side if you're reasonably experienced and you take off items without disassembling them (like leaving the carbs attached to the manifold. just a suggestion, but you ought to consider an 82/83 motor using the 260 head. this motor has flat top pistons (higher compression) along with more torque due to the greater displacement. it also bolts right up, and if you're going to spend this much time, you'll be alot happier with the car's performance if you can spare the $ and find a used zx motor.
andy
[email protected]

·
Registered
205 Posts
> I have an early 260 (with the 240 carbs)
> that I may have to swap a 240 engine (long
> block) into. What compatability problems
> might I encounter? And about how long should
> it take two reasonably mechanically inclined
> men, with a good stock of hand tools to do?
> TIA.

> Mike Palma
> [email protected]
mike, it should bolt right up. it should take 6 to 8 hours on the high side if you're reasonably experienced and you take off items without disassembling them (like leaving the carbs attached to the manifold. i would also remove the motor with the tranny attached as it is easier to bolt it up to the new engine when its out of the car as opposed to when it's under it. just a suggestion, but you ought to consider an 82/83 motor using the 260 head. this motor has flat top pistons (higher compression) along with more torque due to the greater displacement. it also bolts right up, and if you're going to spend this much time, you'll be alot happier with the car's performance if you can spare the $ and find a used zx motor.
andy
[email protected]

·
Registered
486 Posts
With two of us swapping a L28 into a 240, it took about 2.5 hours total including swapping parts out of the car. Very easy exchange. Use the 260 distributor and stand off block. We used a cherry picker, to me much easier than a garage beam. Also had a leveler, that increased time about 25%. If you have to use an l24, no big deal, but an l28 does give more power and torque. I believe you have an electric fuel pump, so that would not be a problem.
Why are you swapping engines?
Joshua L.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.