ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 87 na and from what every z owner on this site has told me the best and cheapest way to go turbo is to by a junker with a good engine thats turbo.
but do u think its going to be a big difference if he turbo engine is out of an 84- 86zx and will it fit in and hook up the same as an 87 engine?

also how much time am i talking if i do it with a very good negihbor mechinice. also is there a horse power diff?

and can i tell if the car has a good engine just by checking simple things or do i have to use tools and look in the block?
i also know my way around a z engine after dealing with regular repalcements but never actully delt with the block other than sparkplugs.
first z, fist atempt on an engine swap need some help!

·
Registered
958 Posts
if your running stock boost there should be about a 40 hp increase. According to AZ bum's site, any motor swap is gonna take 100+ hours. Let me get you a link :
<http://www.az-zbum.com/modification.engine.swap.shtml>

"Estimated time involved:
Expect to spend 100+ hours getting the motor and transmission into the car properly before you can even start it to get started on tuning. Once you get the engine to fire, expect another 30+ hours of getting it running right. And if you have to worry about emissions, double those numbers."

·
Registered
793 Posts
That is only if you dont know what your doing if your friend has done this before and knows exactly what he is doing and what to expect then it should go much easier then he makes it sound! Good luck I'm going to be doing the same thing so I am going to be interested on how to goes with your car? I would like to know if your are going to go with the vg30et or what and how the swap goes! But I've been told by my friend that is a super nissan machanic that swapping from a vg30e to an et is easy and shouldnt be a big deal... Im pretty sure that engine will bolt right up!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had a guy tell me that the stock N/A engine was tough enough that you could simply add the turbo onto the stock N/A engine. I do all my own work except the engine stuff so I have never tried that and don't even know if it si possible or if the engine would handle the extra heat generated by the turbo.

Bob

·
Registered
662 Posts
100+ hours seems a lot to me.

Just do your research and you will be able to take the best route for your situation.
It is fairly common for people to turbo the NA block.
Search this forum and Z31.com and you will find loads for helpful info.

Here are some links to get you started...

<http://www.redz31.com/pages/turbo.html>

<http://tboz.no-ip.com:10000/>

·
Registered
353 Posts
i did it by myself(with the help of my 14 year old cousin) my first time taking any engine out in about a week not rushing, it is very simple all the info you need is in the internet, i tokk alot of notes and duid some research to knopw exactly i would need to do, if you dont know much about mechanics and you friend does , you are practically just going to be the helper, my car is an 88 and i put an 86 motor in without problems, everything you need to swap out to make it work should be in the donor car, it is simple but a little time consuming , i would say maybe about 50 hours max to do all the prep work and seting everything up to drop the engine in , there is a big power difference if you do some mods to the car(exhaust,air filter) and sincve you have the engine out and want it to last ,change gaskets and stuff like that ,that 100 hour trhing from zbums site is for other engines other than the vg30et again it is very simple good luck , and dont forget to change the radiator for the turbo one.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The motor swap thing is a BIG deal I kinda started to realize that after I started! :)

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
I have heard of people simply dropping turbos straight onto NA's with no further mods; but without the proper size injectors and all of the other goop you're not going to get the full benefit out of turbo charging your engine that you could.

If you are serious about doing this to your NA engine then follow redz advice on his site about converting it totally; here is url http://www.redz31.com/turbo/part1.html

Z's are mega rare here in Australia; I mean rare as rocking horse sh!t so I can see why one would convert their NA to turbo over here but considering how cheap Z31's are in the USA I would personally invest in a turbo that's restorable itself and leave the NA as it is. That's just me though, really depends on how much money and time you have to spend on your beast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.