ZCar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just cause my engine that I have is old and I’m gonna need to take it out anyway to work on it. I wanted to ask what engines would work in a z31. I’ve done a bit of research and I know a lot of people say just get another vg and drop it in but I kinda wanna keep my options more open then just that. I know very few have done rb swaps (which would be the final swap Id do for that car) and I’ve heard of ls swaps but I wanna stray away from that cause I’m weird I don’t like ls swaps idk why. And I’ve looked at maybe an sr20 swap but I’m kinda iffy with that, maybe at 1jz or 2jz but the 2jz would be a last swap choice. Really just kinda browsing around for engines . Anyone happen to know what works? And I know I’m gonna have to swap the trans and all the wiring too, but if anyone has ideas or suggestions I’m open to it. And also for different trans I know I’ll most likely have to swap out my drive train as well. So if anyone does give an idea or anything could you add that too so I can look into it! Thank you!

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Really just looking to something fun with the car and just really curious about what I can drop in it. And also I don’t wanna sound like “I wanna do a swap” and becomes one of those people that never finish or start. Please be honest and just hella straight up about prices or how much custom fabrication I’ll have to do. I’ve already started taking the engine and trans out and I’ve got all the time I may need to finish it haha this is my project project my other 3 cars will get me to last till it’s done :) also thank you again!

· Registered
201 Posts
I am having some difficulty responding in a useful way to your post. How can I suggest an engine when I don't know why you want to do the swap? You ask for something you can just "drop in". That I can do; A VG engine of the same type as you pull out. Anything else will require some additional work.

Why do you want to do an engine swap? How much work do you want to do?

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am having some difficulty responding in a useful way to your post. How can I suggest an engine when I don't know why you want to do the swap? You ask for something you can just "drop in". That I can do; A VG engine of the same type as you pull out. Anything else will require some additional work.

Why do you want to do an engine swap? How much work do you want to do?
Sorry I should have gone more into detail. That is on my I apologize. Thank you also. I want to do the swap cause the engine I currently have is just kinda falling apart in many ways. I just use drop in more of an expression. I know putting a different engine would take additional work. I want to swap mainly just to make more power which I know can be achieved with a new vg, but I also wanted to know what maybe someone knew about other engine types being put inside it as well. As for work, honestly I’m willing to do custom fabrication if needed and doing a full build.

· Administrator
1983 280ZX Turbo
2,769 Posts
Why not have the current engine gone through and brought up to OEM spec or modify it? You can do the research to modify it as needed. To get more power, you WILL spend significant money. No replacement I can think of will make much difference in stock form, so you're going to have to modify some engine.

If you put in a used engine, you don't know what you have. If you make sure yours is up to spec, you're good. If what you want is more power, you can modify the engine you have, but there's no magic 600 HP option out there.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why not have the current engine gone through and brought up to OEM spec or modify it? You can do the research to modify it as needed. To get more power, you WILL spend significant money. No replacement I can think of will make much difference in stock form, so you're going to have to modify some engine.

If you put in a used engine, you don't know what you have. If you make sure yours is up to spec, you're good. If what you want is more power, you can modify the engine you have, but there's no magic 600 HP option out there.
I’m not really looking for 600hp. I’d be happy with a good 250-300 to be honest. And I was wanting to rebuild to current engine but inspecting it more and more it would just be better to swap. Also if I was to get a new engine. I’d do a rebuild on it before I put it in the car. And the VG takes a lot to gain more hp if I’m not mistaken?

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’d get another vg but there’s not really anyone in my area that is selling one. I’d love to get the car running soon but if fixing this engine isn’t worth it I’d like to know what swaps I can do.

· Registered
603 Posts
you don't ne ed to spend any way near that much on a VG to make it get to 300HP, even if you have to buy another VG engine and build it up with a bigger turbo, intercooler, and some other relative small changes., but any other type engine swap will cost you plenty.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you don't ne ed to spend any way near that much on a VG to make it get to 300HP, even if you have to buy another VG engine and build it up with a bigger turbo, intercooler, and some other relative small changes., but any other type engine swap will cost you plenty.
I would get another vg30 all the ones being sold by me are in much worse condition then my current engine, well old engine I’ve already pulled it and am cleaning out the engine bay. I’d love to have an in-line so I can free up a little space and even if the build takes awhile it’s well worth the wait for me. I’ve done some research into the rb25det in a z31 but there’s not much on some of the components that I would need. Which is understandable cause it’s kinda out there swap( at least here I’ve heard in Japan there were plenty of those swaps) but if anything if I can’t find a good choice for a swap I’ll try to find a decent condition vg.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.