ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, i was taking a look at az-zbum's site about engine possibilities that can be thrown into a z31, and figured i better spend my money on my car before it makes its way to the counter at Rubio's for 3000 fish tacos. i was wondering if anyone had an 84Z and swapped their vg30et for a more powerful engine. I'm looking for the cheapest project that I could get for the most power.

so far I was considering an RB25DET or RB26DET, but just the engine alone is a whopping $4k. then my friend suggested a sr20det...im frkkin confused, any suggestions?

ps how much would a swap eventually cost, and i dont want a vg30dett.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I heard the RB25DET is nice. Supposedly alot of parts for it. Just checked ebay. 2,500 for engine/tranny, wiring harness & ECU. honestly, I'd probably go for a front clip, but thats just me.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Yes - Don't be a fool, go VG30ET!

AZ_ZBUM is right! For $3,000 you could have a pretty wicked z31 with a VG30ET.

$600-ish could get you into a nice Nitrous Oxide system. An extra 100HP on demand and you would still have enough left over for a bigger turbo and some turbo toys :).

·
Registered
958 Posts
how expensive is the actual nitrous oxide? I just did a google search and I came up with this

"Nitrous Oxide Refill - $4.00 - J & J's Speed Shop"

seems a little cheap. is NOS really that cheap?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my VG30ET has 164,000 miles on it currently. i was thinking of getting a new engine because this engine is obviously old, and who knows how much power it has lost through the years.

and Nos...that totally slipped my mind. I think i forgot because its usually an aspiration of a Fast and Furious fanboy, but if its cheap, safe for my engine and gives me a sh*tload of power, I'm down.

so considering my aged engine, what would you suggest?

ps. my exhaust smells, horridly. any z31 owners have this problem?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
myfirstcar -

My z31 has 213,000 miles on it - original engine. I know several people (some on this board) that have broken the 300,000 mark. Your engine is not on it's way out (unless it was driven to death and you would know if it is). My advice - keep the engine you got and don't waste time/money/efforts on replacing/rebuilding the engine until you need to.

Nitrous can be safe if you study up and do it right. There is a Fast N Furious stigma with Nitrous Oxide and they make it look really goofy in the movie. If used properly, at the right time, in the right amount, on a properly configured set up, you can gain 50-100+ horsepower on demand. You only take advantage of the Nitrous Oxide in the higher RPM's so you only get the advantage at that time. it is, however, low cost, easy to set up (if you do it right!) and leathly effective.

If you don't already have a turbo setup and are mechanically inclined the turbo swap is feasible. It is a bit safer and you have power delivery at all times smoothly. I have been considering Nitrous Oxide because the initial set up is so low cost and I have an N/A 85z.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I was looking at other engines compared to my VG30ET and its quite strong stock against an SR20DET and is head to head with a RB25DET.

"Your engine is not on it's way out (unless it was driven to death and you would know if it is)"

I'm its second owner and i got it at 163k miles. I don't really know if it feels normal or not. Exhaust smells like crap if that helps.

·
Registered
958 Posts
how do we tune our cars? I don't know how! lol. 88hybrid is "tuning" tuning his car. What does that mean he is necisarily doing?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.