ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can drive my 84 300zx to the store and back and its fine, as long as i dont shut the car off. if i turn the car off, it doesnt want to fire back up, ive rplaced the fuel filter, my oil pressure seems fine (since nissan has the auto cutoff when you have no pressure) it doesnt seem like it runs too hot, but ive yet to check the coil, and all the wires comming off the coil. I have began to wonder if i need new plugs, but i replaced 3 of those last year(the other 3 are under the intake and you have to pull it off) or could it be my full electric system? any help would be appriciated. thanks guys....

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
How does your FPR look? Take the vacuum hose off of it while your car is running, and if it spits out fuel, it's bad.

I know there's some part that is totally related to warm starting problems, but I can't think of it off the top of my head. Maybe someone else will chime in.

·
Registered
373 Posts
If you have your tool to change plugs with you shouldn't have to remove the intake to change them I didn't I have an 84 N/A . But you might if you have a turbo I didn't think of that sorry.
Also might be a good time to replace plug wires that happened to mine too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no, it doesnt turn over at all when i shut it off and try to restart it, my voltage meter is fine, just some times it wants to start, and other times it doesnt, just really unreliable. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the FPR the fuel pressure reulator? thanks for the help, maybe you can think of that part

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes, its a turbo, its just so hard to get in there, but the plugs shouldnt be the problem, because then it would skip on 3 cylinders....or might not even fire up initially. but i do need to put some new wires on it, but im still going to go over the coil and check it with a test light. appriciate the help

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
This might not be it considering you said voltage is fine; but it's worth a try if you're running out of ideas as your voltage sender unit could be faulty... I had a similar problem a while ago where one minute the car would fire up like normal, then I'd turn it off and restart and it wouldn't fire up. It turned out that the alternators brushes were sometimes making contact, sometimes not. It's hard to pin point it too because when you check if it's charging, it is, so it seems nothings wrong... It's only until the brushes dont make contact again that it quits charging so I had to sit there for 30 minutes re-testing until it quit.

Like I said this mightn't be your problem but the symptoms are very similar.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ill be sure to check out that, because it makes perfect sense that it could be the problem, ill check up on it tommorow, and thanks alot for all of you guys help.

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Yeah it's a tough one; I had my mechanic think I was high or something because it tested perfectly with the voltage meter. We waited a while and tried it again and luckily for me it quit charging for us after a while so I wasn't made to look like a liar lol

Apart from that check your battery aswell; you could have a bung cell. It mightn't even be power related but just the symptoms u said reminded me of the issues I had.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
its not my voltage, but i think that the car isnt getting enough fuel to the motor, so its not firing up, its started to turn over now every time, its just not firing up, so im thinking it has something to do with my fuel system, or some type of electronics that arent allowing the car to start properly.

·
Registered
540 Posts
try to tap the starter w/ a rod taking care not to hit any electric conn. also check the netural start s/w. i think this is were ur problem lies, maybe a worn ing switch

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i replaced the coil wire, it seemed bad, but i replaced it and it started up, i waited 30 minutes to see if that was the problem, and tried to restart the car in 30 minutes and it kept turning over, but not firing up, it has enough voltage, and the starter seems fine, because the car wouldnt turn over if it wasnt....but if anyone knows what that part is that is related to warm starting problems(that domdogg123 mentioned of) it would be nice to know....please help, thanks guys

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.