ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know this a Z forum, but there are a few of you guys out there taht seem to be pretty mechanicly inclined, so I need to find some help here. The problems that I am running acrros, I have seen on this forum before with Z's, so I guess I can use the ideas on my V-8.

The engine is a 283 V-8 out of a 1964 Impala.

I was told to remove the spark plugs and squirt oil in the plug holes. I have never heard of this, so i need a second opinion.

I was also told to use a long screw driver on a drill, to prime the distributor, to build up oil pressure. Any ideas here?

I guess i need to take out the gasoline in the tank and replace the fuel lines.

What should my first step witht the carb?

Any help will be appreciated.

Chris Behney
Redline Autosports

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Chris -

It sounds like a good idea to squirt oil into the plug holes. Those bores must have some corrosion built up after 15 years, and the rings might even be locked in with corrosion. At best, the corrosion will act as an abrasive and do harm. You don't want to pour in so much oil that the compression goes through the roof, though. It would be good to use some very thin oil - maybe even WD-40. The problem is that with a V-8, the pistons are canted at an angle and the oil will accumulate only on one side of the bore. Maybe you could use a pressurized can of WD-40 with a bent extension tube - squirt it into the spark plug hole and spin it 360 degrees so it's evenly applied around the bore. It might also be a good idea to turn the engine over with the plugs removed so that the oil can distribute itself and the abrasive effects are minimized. The suggestion that you build up the oil pressure before the engine fires is also a good one. You're going to need all the lubrication and solvent action you can get.
- John G.

> Ok, I know this a Z forum, but there are a
> few of you guys out there taht seem to be
> pretty mechanicly inclined, so I need to
> find some help here. The problems that I am
> running acrros, I have seen on this forum
> before with Z's, so I guess I can use the
> ideas on my V-8.

> The engine is a 283 V-8 out of a 1964
> Impala.

> I was told to remove the spark plugs and
> squirt oil in the plug holes. I have never
> heard of this, so i need a second opinion.

> I was also told to use a long screw driver
> on a drill, to prime the distributor, to
> build up oil pressure. Any ideas here?

> I guess i need to take out the gasoline in
> the tank and replace the fuel lines.

> What should my first step witht the carb?

> Any help will be appreciated.

> Chris Behney
> Redline Autosports

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
> Chris -

> It sounds like a good idea to squirt oil
> into the plug holes. Those bores must have
> some corrosion built up after 15 years, and
> the rings might even be locked in with
> corrosion. At best, the corrosion will act
> as an abrasive and do harm. You don't want
> to pour in so much oil that the compression
> goes through the roof, though. It would be
> good to use some very thin oil - maybe even
> WD-40. The problem is that with a V-8, the
> pistons are canted at an angle and the oil
> will accumulate only on one side of the
> bore. Maybe you could use a pressurized can
> of WD-40 with a bent extension tube - squirt
> it into the spark plug hole and spin it 360
> degrees so it's evenly applied around the
> bore. It might also be a good idea to turn
> the engine over with the plugs removed so
> that the oil can distribute itself and the
> abrasive effects are minimized. The
> suggestion that you build up the oil
> pressure before the engine fires is also a
> good one. You're going to need all the
> lubrication and solvent action you can get.
> - John G.

How do I turn the engine over without using the starter, or do I have to use it?

If i use motor oil, would it be a good idea to use WD-40 also, or just on or the other?

Thankls for your help.

Chris Behney

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> How do I turn the engine over without using
> the starter, or do I have to use it?

> If i use motor oil, would it be a good idea
> to use WD-40 also, or just on or the other?

> Thankls for your help.

> Chris Behney
With the plugs out you should be able to turn the engine over by hand with a strap wrench around the crank pulley, the early 283
engines didn't have a retaining bolt to keep the harmonic balancer in place on the crank, was strictly a press fit.
would definately make sure it turns over by hand before putting the starter to it.
I would pull the carb, once I knew it turned over, and pop it apart to make sure the floats weren't stuck and that it wasn't
full of varnish/corrosion, at this point may as well rebuild carb, you already would have it half apart anyway.
definately get rid of the old gas in the tank and check the tank for rust(can be a real headache)
replacing the fuel lines is a good idea too.
good luck!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> I was told to remove the spark plugs and
> squirt oil in the plug holes. I have never
> heard of this, so i need a second opinion.

> What should my first step witht the carb?

> Chris Behney
> Redline Autosports

Chris,

Don't use motor oil in the pistons: get a can of Marvel Mystery Oil. Use it both in the pistons (squirt it in with an oil can) and pour it in through the valve cover. It's a good penetrator, and it'll break up the rust that's probably developed inside. Let it sit for a couple days to work in.

After a couple of days of soaking, crank the engine with the plugs out, to let some of the excess oil blow back out.

I've used that stuff on old lawn mower engines, and once on a 6-cylinder in a '72 GMC pickup that sat rusting in a field for several years, and it (the oil, not the GMC...) worked fine.

I don't know what to tell you about the carb, except it's likely all the gaskets and rubber are dried up and useless, and any moisture inside would've corroded the heck out of the needle valves and tiny holes. If the carb works, don't mess with it right away; but if it doesn't, you'll need to take it apart and rebuild it. Chances are you won't be able to disassemble it and reassemble it with the on-hand parts (they'll be dried, stuck together, etc.), so start pricing rebuild kits for it.

I'm not a mechanic, but I grew up without much money and I had to learn to make do with what I had, so buying new cars and parts wasn't something that was an option for me.... The Marvel Mystery Oil should do the trick, but it will only un-seize any stuck parts: it won't undo the corrosion that's occurred.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
IMO I would defenitly use marvoulos mystery oil (MMO) in all cylinders, go ahead and fill up all the holes with it. let it sit (or stand) for 3 or 4 days. Leave the plugs out and turn it over by hand after it sits.. Most of the MMO will come out when you turn it by hand a few times. After you feel that the pistons have made a few complete revouloitions turn it over with the starter (with the plugs out) more MMO will shoot out and make a mess. With MMO you wont have to change your oil if you don't want to but I would because of the trash that the MMO will have broke loose. MMO is a oil additive so it wont hurt to run the enginge with it. My checy pickup has just over 173000 on it and I put about half a quart in it every third oil change or so. I was told I could use the full quart I just choose not too. if you can heat the block that might help speed things up some.(maybe if it has a block heater)
Yes clean out the fuel lines best you can. I would get some carb cleaner plug up one end of the fuel line after I drained it fill it with carb cleaner let set about 20 minutes and repeat as you feel nessasary. Rebuild the carb or you will have problems.
Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.