ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok.. ive got a late F54 zx block with flat pistons.. and a 240 motor also.. im selling the P79 from the zx block.. im going to put my E88 head on the zx block.. i am pretty sure i have the later less desirable E88head. i was planning on getting it ported and polished and installing the larger valves from a 75-78 z in it.. that would yield about 9.5 to 1 compression.. i was also going to bore the block out 1mm and install bigger pistons ..is the later e88 really all that bad? if im going to put work in the head will it really matter? thanks for reading.. i may have 9mm 240 rods for sale soon :)

·
Registered
430 Posts
Re: Engine Setup.. Almost decided.. little help he

that e88 should work fine, especially with the bigger valves and the porting. boring the block will also increase the CR a bit more. good luck.

·
Registered
144 Posts

Hi Joey. I too have F-54 in a 72 with Triple webers car runs great,But you know always loking to improve.Especialy
since I have a P-90a head.I am looking for more compression
I had the luxury of owning both heads.I can see where people say the early head is more desireable.I also have a e-31 head and when you look at them side by side they are almost identical.So with larger valves is what I have decided.In the long run I dont know how much it matters.I am sure with proper setup they both work well.I think sometimes you just have to make up your mind and d it!Man i have spent a bunch of time sweating yhr details.

Good Luck

Mark

·
Registered
1,713 Posts

Be sure to check head for cracks before sinking much time into it. Liquid dye penetrant test required for alum head. Don't try to repair cracks ditch and find another - I know whereof I speake: Ye ol school o hard knockers!

Also, be sure to run a clay test on piston valve clearance prior to final bolt-up. Much better safer than sorrier!

I wouldn't worry about E88 especially if you got someone who can do or advise you on proper porting techniques.

Later!
Al

·
Registered
588 Posts

I have the later E88 w/larger SS intake valves. The head was shaved, and the pistons were flycut for clearance, along with an overbore and diesel crank there is still 10.24:1 compression.
Triple mikunis etc, there is no problem with power. Fastest Z I've ever been in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.