ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '77 260Z that is in need of a new engine and gearbox. What other engines beside the L26, drop straight in without any hassles? I am looking for some more power and torque and don't care much about orginality (ie engines from different manufacturers would be acceptable too).

·
Registered
399 Posts
A '77 260Z? Unh, Unh.

> I have a '77 260Z that is in need of a new
> engine and gearbox. What other engines
> beside the L26, drop straight in without any
> hassles? I am looking for some more power
> and torque and don't care much about
> orginality (ie engines from different
> manufacturers would be acceptable too).
Datsun only made, the 260Z in '74, although some were tiltled as '75's. Of course, the 260Z did have the L26. If your car is all original, then either it is not a '77 or the engine is not an L26, in which case it is most likely and early version of the L28. As to other engines, the L28 in the '81-'83 ZX non-turbo L28 (F54) block is the best engine that will drop straight in . The sky is the limit is to what modifications you can do to that engine.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Re: A '77 260Z? Unh, Unh.

In Japan and the UK, 280Z's did not exist. Only fuel injected L26's. This may be one of these motors. It is possible that someone put a used L26E from Japan into this car. I know that the local Japanese used engine importer can only get L26's any more. They have N42 and N47 heads for FI.

As for your car, I would go w/an L28 w/flattop pistons like Coop says.

Ian

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Re: A '77 260Z? Unh, Unh.

> Datsun only made, the 260Z in '74, although
> some were tiltled as '75's. Of course, the
> 260Z did have the L26. If your car is all
> original, then either it is not a '77 or the
> engine is not an L26, in which case it is
> most likely and early version of the L28. As
> to other engines, the L28 in the '81-'83 ZX
> non-turbo L28 (F54) block is the best engine
> that will drop straight in . The sky is the
> limit is to what modifications you can do to
> that engine.

You are making a bad assumption. Unlike us, not everybody who looks at this board is from North America. The 2.6L motor was produced for other markets until the 280ZX came out.
However, the original poster never explained what he meant by hassle. That could play a bigger factor. If he doesn't want to change from carbs to f.i. or vice versa, he may be limiting himself. Also, think of turbocharger plumbing and other things that could be necessary in a swap. Easy for some people, but I'd probably just empty my pocketbook to get somebody else to do the work for me.

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
A '77 260Z? Unh Huh

> You are making a bad assumption. Unlike us,
> not everybody who looks at this board is
> from North America. The 2.6L motor was
> produced for other markets until the 280ZX
> came out.

You're right. The original poster never mentioned he's in Australia, but you can tell by his email address. The L28 was offered only for the north American market. Other markets had the L26 through '78.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.