ZCar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some on to preform some drivetrain work on my 1978 280Z in the Dayton or Cincinnati Ohio area. Does anyone know of a good Z shop or someone who specializes in the Z cars?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello my name is Bill. I am looking for someone to possibly rebuild the engine, upgrade suspension and brakes, and possibly exhaust. Let me know the best way to contact you if you are interested or may know someone. Thanks for the response.
Bill

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello my name is Bill. I am looking for someone to possibly rebuild the engine, upgrade suspension and brakes, and possibly exhaust. Let me know the best way to contact you if you are interested or may know someone. Thanks for the response.
Bill
Bill,
I have rebuilt all of the brakes on my 72 240Z car. All new rotors,calipers,Hoses, brake pads bearings ect. should be no big deal to do your car. Suspension can be upgraded as well depends on what you want or need

Is your car running and driving?

Your engine can be completely rebuilt as well. I have a machine shop that I run and can take care of alot of small parts rebuilding on Z cars. I have a local Automotive machine shop down the street that does great work on the block and heads. Depends on what your car might need as far as machine work.

I just finished my 72Z engine and boy it needed everything to complete the project. The car had been sitting for 33 years and was frozen.First the engine is cleaned in a machine then shot blasted,Next they magnafluxed for cracks and there were none. They bored and pressed in new sleeves,then bored and honed to fit my new standard size flat top pistons from Z Car Deot. Then decked the top .010 and it looks great! Head was complete rebuilt with all new valves and seats and then flowed on the bench to test.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 280Z is running (has a lot of value noise and no power) and can be driven. This car has also been sitting for may years. A friend and I got it running but I believe it needs work I do not have the knowledge and tools to preform.
Bill,
I have rebuilt all of the brakes on my 72 240Z car. All new rotors,calipers,Hoses, brake pads bearings ect. should be no big deal to do your car. Suspension can be upgraded as well depends on what you want or need

Is your car running and driving?

Your engine can be completely rebuilt as well. I have a machine shop that I run and can take care of alot of small parts rebuilding on Z cars. I have a local Automotive machine shop down the street that does great work on the block and heads. Depends on what your car might need as far as machine work.

I just finished my 72Z engine and boy it needed everything to complete the project. The car had been sitting for 33 years and was frozen.First the engine is cleaned in a machine then shot blasted,Next they magnafluxed for cracks and there were none. They bored and pressed in new sleeves,then bored and honed to fit my new standard size flat top pistons from Z Car Deot. Then decked the top .010 and it looks great! Head was complete rebuilt with all new valves and seats and then flowed on the bench to test.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 280Z is running (has a lot of value noise and no power) and can be driven. This car has also been sitting for may years. A friend and I got it running but I believe it needs work I do not have the knowledge and tools to preform.
I have the tools and have been restoring cars since junior high in the 60s with my Dad.Sounds like a complete engine and head rebuild would be in store.

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,232 Posts
I have the tools and have been restoring cars since junior high in the 60s with my Dad.Sounds like a complete engine and head rebuild would be in store.
I think that judgment is premature. A complete engine and head rebuild is very expensive and seldom justified unless you identify specific problems that point to it. The Datsun L6 engine is extremely durable and engine rebuilds are seldom needed.

How many miles on the car? What are the specific symptoms? (noise and low power doesn't tell us anything)

I think you do indeed need a good mechanic to check that engine out. The air flow meter, the injectors, A compression test, fuel filter (yours may be mostly plugged), vacuum hose leaks - there are many things that could be wrong. I'd start checking places that work on imported cars and see if anyone has a background in Datsun-era Z-cars.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where are you located and what is your timeframe for taking a look at it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think that judgment is premature. A complete engine and head rebuild is very expensive and seldom justified unless you identify specific problems that point to it. The Datsun L6 engine is extremely durable and engine rebuilds are seldom needed.

How many miles on the car? What are the specific symptoms? (noise and low power doesn't tell us anything)

I think you do indeed need a good mechanic to check that engine out. The air flow meter, the injectors, A compression test, fuel filter (yours may be mostly plugged), vacuum hose leaks - there are many things that could be wrong. I'd start checking places that work on imported cars and see if anyone has a background in Datsun-era Z-cars.
The 280Z has 132,000 mile. I agree there should be further investigation into its issues. I replaced several vacuum hoses, new fuel pump, plugs, wires and the air flow meter. All of that is what got the car running. I have not performed any compression tests which would be a good place to go next. I am looking for a shop or someone who has the knowledge of the 70's Z cars to get this car in good running condition. Let me know if you know of a shop or someone who works on these cars. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1983 280ZX Turbo
1,232 Posts
I don't know anyone in your area, but perhaps others here can help.

Incidentally, my 1983 280ZX Turbo has about 126,000 miles, and compression in all cylinders tops out in the range of 130-140 PSI. Your non-turbo should be a bit higher.

I'll share these opinions:

If the car isn't using an undue amount of oil (more than a quart every thousand miles) and the compression is reasonable, your rings are OK.

If the engine uses more oil, it's possible that the problem is valve seals, which can be replaced without removing the head.

If oil pressure is normal (10 PSI or less at idle when warm, 40+ PSI at road speed when warm) then your oil system and main bearings are probably OK.

If your rings and bearings are OK and your valves aren't leaking, you don't need an engine rebuild.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Local advice in your area might be available from this guy:

No firsthand knowledge but might be a good source.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts