Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I have a 79 N/A that I am ready to commit some cash to.

If I go to the shop and say "rebuild the engine" what gets done? (I want it to hum like new and it has 130,000 now)

Also, anyone from New England know of a competent shop/mechanic to do an engine rebuild on a Z?

Thanks,

Dave

·
Registered
511 Posts
130k???

I would rebuilt the top.
Unless your burning gallons of oil. A little oil usage could be fixed by just replacing the valve seals.

Think about all your options first.

You could feel like it was a new car if you changed: Injectors, pcv valve, feul filter,air filter,spark plugs, cap and rotor, coil, added fuel treatment and washed it.

Sometimes little things make a difference.
130? it still has 100k left.

·
Registered
301 Posts
i have a 1982 280zx Turbo, that has 150K on it, and im getting my engine re-built this summer ( predicting maybe 160 k on it by then ) i personally dont know what goes into a re-build and what actually gets done...( having a really good Z-mechinc friend of mine to do it while away at BCT this summer ) i think that is what NH280zx is talking about....what is actually involved in a re-build.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I am picking up my motor and parts tomorrow from the machine shop. I am rebuilding it. I took the whole engine apart myself and took it to the shop. The shop will do whatever you want them to do, so you have some options. You could just have the block cleaned and honed and put your old pistons with new rings in. Or you could have the block bored to a larger size and get new pistons. The head should have a valvejob done and replace any parts that are worn. Prices are pretty mild to get things cleaned, surfaced and just checked over. It really isn't that expensive to get the block bored either, the money comes in when you have work done to the head. Valve jobs aren't cheap but they are necessary. Ask around to see if you can find a recommended machine shop in your area then go to the shop and tell them your situation and ask about your options. If they want your business they will be very helpful.

-C.Wade

·
Registered
126 Posts
I got my head reconditioned (yes.. it cost me more to recondition the head than it did to buy the car, but I got a mild cam put in while I was at it).
I am wondering if I should get the bottom half redone (any suggestions??). It doesn't blow any smoke, the compression is good and fairly even over all cylinders, but I have low oil pressure. (the fella at the shop says it is probably the bearings on the crankshaft wearing). Has anybody else had this (and before you say it.. my sender unit is ok.. I have tried a couple and they are always about the same). Pressure goes up to halfway when cold, then drops to probably less than a quarter..

Monkeyman

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.