ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have determined that is about time to re-build my 280 due to the fact that it has an estimated 200K to 300K on the motor. I'm the 6th owner of the car and I wanted to beef up the engine a little. I'm going to have the head ported and posished but am not sure for top or low end, along with a ram air system (for on the freeway), but I have been unable to find a reasonably price rebuild kit. Before I order the kit I was going to go with a larger compresion ratio, but is it worth the extra money. After all I'm building the car as a everyday driver, but to appear to be a road rally car. I'd like to know if anyone has any info on engine rebiuld kits.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,582 Posts
> I have determined that is about time to
> re-build my 280 due to the fact that it has
> an estimated 200K to 300K on the motor.

In the case of your L28, that's not a very good reason to rebuild the motor; 250k is merely middle-aged for it. Hey, this ain't your daddy's Chevy. ;^)

> I'm
> the 6th owner of the car and I wanted to
> beef up the engine a little. I'm going to
> have the head ported and posished but am not
> sure for top or low end, along with a ram
> air system (for on the freeway), but I have
> been unable to find a reasonably price
> rebuild kit. Before I order the kit I was
> going to go with a larger compresion ratio,
> but is it worth the extra money. After all
> I'm building the car as a everyday driver,
> but to appear to be a road rally car. I'd
> like to know if anyone has any info on
> engine rebiuld kits.

Rather than considering rebuild kits, what I would suggest is the following. You don't seem to be under any reasonable pressure to rebuild your motor. Why don't you just leave your _current_ motor alone for now, and get ANOTHER motor for it, say from a fresh kill wreck w/body damage but good-lookin' power train, or used or whatever, and then really take your time and do a most excellent job of building up _that_. Then, when you're done ( say a few months later if you're really enjoying yourself, ) just spend the weekend swapping the motors out. Don't try and put yourself under pressure to build your motor quickly, and don't try to get everything all at once, because, well, you never know what you're gonna find or what kind of things/parts you'll take a likin' to, before you get your hands totally dirty with it.

Plus, then you always have a backup motor for whenever you toast the built one, heh heh.

Doug Dawson ( maximizing the fun )
[email protected]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Thanks

> In the case of your L28, that's not a very
> good reason to rebuild the motor; 250k is
> merely middle-aged for it. Hey, this ain't
> your daddy's Chevy. ;^)

> Rather than considering rebuild kits, what I
> would suggest is the following. You don't
> seem to be under any reasonable pressure to
> rebuild your motor. Why don't you just leave
> your _current_ motor alone for now, and get
> ANOTHER motor for it, say from a fresh
> kill wreck w/body damage but
> good-lookin' power train, or used or
> whatever, and then really take your time and
> do a most excellent job of building up
> _that_. Then, when you're done ( say a few
> months later if you're really enjoying
> yourself, ) just spend the weekend swapping
> the motors out. Don't try and put yourself
> under pressure to build your motor quickly,
> and don't try to get everything all at once,
> because, well, you never know what you're
> gonna find or what kind of things/parts
> you'll take a likin' to, before you get your
> hands totally dirty with it.

> Plus, then you always have a backup motor
> for whenever you toast the built one, heh
> heh.

> Doug Dawson ( maximizing the fun )
> [email protected]

If I'm going to build a second motor, I'd love to go with a slightly build V-8.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top