ZCar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you prime a z engine using the compressor method or does it only work with the drill priming method, I’ve been trying to prime mine but don’t seem to see any oil come out the oil rail in the head

· Registered
430 Posts
I prefill my oil pump with 20w50 oil and trust that the pump will do its job. In order to do the drill methold yo have to remove the pump to remove the oil pump drive shaft and install a modified shaft that does not engage the oil pump drive gear. Then after you prime you have to pull the pump off again and reinstall the the correct un-modified drive shaft.

· Registered
4,628 Posts
If a motor hasn't been run for a long time, I take the cam cover off. If the oil pan is empty, I just dump a whole quart of oil all over everything under there, then fill the pan. If the pan is full, I use an oil can and oil all the moving parts. I also put a little squirt of oil down each spark plug hole. This lubes things well enough until the oil pump gets going again.

· Registered
2,314 Posts
As long as your oil pan has an adequate oil level and your oil pump has been filled on the bench, the next step is crank the engine over with the starter and the spark plugs removed. Once you have oil going upstairs the pitch of the starter will change. It won't be long after that, that oil will be coming out of either the cam or the cam oiler spray bar depending on which model of cam you want. This will thoroughly prime the engine and it's easy to do. It doesn't hurt the starter, and it won't take hardly any energy to crank the engine with the plugs out. If the engine hasn't run in a long time you shouldn't have to prime the oiling system as long as the oil pan has the necessary oil height. Lubing the cylinders is never a bad idea, neither is lubing up the cam. Z man of Washington

Reactions: zbartsky

· Registered
12 Posts
Can you prime a z engine using the compressor method or does it only work with the drill priming method, I’ve been trying to prime mine but don’t seem to see any oil come out the oil rail in the head
Put a fitting the block where the oil pressure sending unit screws in. you can push oil, by squeeze bulb or something that can push oil into the port. Keep pushing and you will see oil come out of the cam bar or cam holes, depending on what you have. it is not hard and works for a first startup

· Premium Member
41,285 Posts
I’ve detailed filling my engines after overhaul using a stainless steel refillable fire extinguisher. The fitting goes in the pressure sender, and I use an Olberg 4” 10 Micron mesh filer in the fill line. This effectively fills completely the oil filter, all galleys top and bottom, oil pump and oil pump suction line.

Doing it that way since I installed my firstCanton Accusump back in the early 80’s.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.