ZCar Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
424 Posts
Pull your plugs and see what color they are. Black is rich, white is lean. Either you don't have enough air (rich black plug) or you dont have enough fuel (Lean too much air = vac leak white plugs).

· Registered
424 Posts
Checking the color of the plugs is a good way to check what your engine is doing with the fuel. Google spark plug color chart to see what I mean. You don't seem to be running rich. If the plugs are grey or brown that is normal.

This could be a CHTS that is giving a high ohm reading when warm, or a distributor advance issue, or a throttle position switch issue or a AFM issue or just a bad electrical connection issue. Do the diagnostic checks, it will help eliminate all of the above. DON'T mess with the AFM unless you can prove without a shadow of a doubt that there is an issue with it. The AFM checks are in the diagnostic procedure.
So you should download the FSM and go thru the diagnostic procedure and test everything fuel and ECU related. It is the only way to really check things out. Get the FSM free here.
XenonZcar.com S130 Factory Service manuals
Since you didn't give a year of your 280zx I cant point you to a starting page.

· Registered
424 Posts
post #9
Checking the color of the plugs is a good way to check what your engine is doing with the fuel. Google spark plug color chart to see what I mean. You don't seem to be running rich. If the plugs are grey or brown that is normal.

This could be a CHTS that is giving a high ohm reading when warm, or a distributor advance issue, or a throttle position switch issue or a AFM issue or just a bad electrical connection issue. Do the diagnostic checks, it will help eliminate all of the above. DON'T mess with the AFM unless you can prove without a shadow of a doubt that there is an issue with it. The AFM checks are in the diagnostic procedure.
So you should download the FSM and go thru the diagnostic procedure and test everything fuel and ECU related. It is the only way to really check things out. Get the FSM free here.
XenonZcar.com S130 Factory Service manuals
Since you didn't give a year of your 280zx I cant point you to a starting page.

How much of the diagnostic procedure have yo gone thru? Any?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts