ZCar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 92 300zx non turbo has a whining sound from the engine at all times and just recently a ticking sound. The car sat without starting for a few years. I know that's not much to diagnose from but any recommendations for my next move?

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Whinning sound is anyones guess.

Ticking sound is the valve lifters. They are oil filled and begin to drain after sitting for anything more than a week. Change out the oil and drive around. Hopefully they re pressurize. If after 10-20 miles of high RPM driving they still click loudly they probably won't re fill. Can try some kind of mechanic in a bottle like sea foam or ATF in the oil to try to "wash" out some of the gummed up ports.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks...I'll also replace the belts as the whining sounds like it may be in that area..is this a real pain in the arse to do on this vehicle? I'd like to hear someone else's z of this year and model to compare

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Belt squeal and a whine are pretty different. Belts are easy but it is best to do it with the car in the air and the splash shields off. IIRC some of the bolts are easier to get to from the bottom. Most of the tension pulleys have at least two bolts that need to be lossened the center bolt on the pulley unlocks it and the long threaded bolts tensions and un-tensions. Forget to un-do the locking bolt and you can easily snap off the tensioner.

http://www.ttzd.com/tech/timingbelttech.html
You will be doing step 1-15
Alternator has three bolts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Belt squeal and a whine are pretty different. Belts are easy but it is best to do it with the car in the air and the splash shields off. IIRC some of the bolts are easier to get to from the bottom. Most of the tension pulleys have at least two bolts that need to be lossened the center bolt on the pulley unlocks it and the long threaded bolts tensions and un-tensions. Forget to un-do the locking bolt and you can easily snap off the tensioner.

http://www.ttzd.com/tech/timingbelttech.html
You will be doing step 1-15
Alternator has three bolts.
Thanks for the info. The whining sounds almost like a dry bearing sound. It was there before the car was stored. Any clue why?

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Wow you want me to armchair diagnose a whine with almost no background info?? OK here I go:

Since you thought it was coming from belts I will assume that the noise is coming from the front of the engine.

1-Idler/tension pulley bearing on the AC belt. Mine blew apart when the bearing died.

2-Fan clutch is dead.

3-Timing belt cover is rubbing on the T-belt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow you want me to armchair diagnose a whine with almost no background info?? OK here I go:

Since you thought it was coming from belts I will assume that the noise is coming from the front of the engine.

1-Idler/tension pulley bearing on the AC belt. Mine blew apart when the bearing died.

2-Fan clutch is dead.

3-Timing belt cover is rubbing on the T-belt.
Hahahahaha......those sound like very real possibilities....I will check them out. Do you think I should go ahead and replace the water pump and timing belt while I'm at the front of the motor or is that opening up a can of worms? Maybe it's better to let well enough alone

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Bad bearings usually have a screechy sound. Whine is almost always either the alternator or the power steering pump, in my experience.

One way to diagnose a noise is to remove belts and run the engine. The engine will run on battery power for a short while. Disconnect each component separately, and listen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bad bearings usually have a screechy sound. Whine is almost always either the alternator or the power steering pump, in my experience.

One way to diagnose a noise is to remove belts and run the engine. The engine will run on battery power for a short while. Disconnect each component separately, and listen.
Excellent suggestion...I will try that

1 - 10 of 10 Posts