ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok. i went down to nashville to get some new fenders and hood and on the way back (20 miles past tenesee in kentucky) my 280zx na engine started nocking realy bad. it only comes from arount the 4't cylender. i pulled to a gas station where the car sat till this morning (1am).

the car still runs and will drive but with lots of power loss.
i pulled the plugs and the fourth one had some crap on it. just looked like resude build up
the engine had very little oil. the car had its oil changed about a month ago. i put syntethic high performance quaker state in it.
i pulled the rocker arm cover to look and there is nothing out of place.
it still doesnt leak any oil. and it never did.
the noise sounds like something hitting the top of the rocker arm cover but cant be. it gets softer when you go faster but is realy loud when your sitting there or going slow.

i only drove about 1/4 mile to get to the gas station.

any help would be great. i dont want to get rid of this z. i just put $500 to make it look better and dont want to lose my investment.

will

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
RE: engine nocking. valver broken? please help, la

Actually first time I hear someone have severe internal problems with a Z engine.

A knocking sound like this can also be caused by a worn crankshaft roller bearing, but a problem with some valves is not excluded.
Hard to tell since it is hard to explain the sound over the net.
You mentioned that there was very little oil in the engine.
That is a main reson for roller bearings to seize.
But I cannot be sure about it.
Anyway, seems like you do have a complete engine dismantling ahead you, bvut good luck and I'll hope you find the problem.

Regards Marten Carlsson

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Marten's Probably Right, But...

you ought to get a shop manual and do your own troubleshooting before you start tearing things apart. It's your car and your money, if you want one to be better and more of the other to be left at the end of the process, a little reading time is a very good investment. Remember, there are no cheap mistakes when you're working on a Z-car.

Our goodbuddy, Derek, has manuals for sale. Just click on "Bookstore," to the left. Buying from him helps keep this site running.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.