ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I start the Z tonight and drive down to the store, runs great. I start her back up to leave the store and it fires slow and stumbly. On the drive back to the house she started misfiring badly so I stopped and checked the coil pack connectors which is the problem 90% of the time but they are fine. Pulling in my driveway it stalled so I popped the hood. My engine oil dipstick is popped out so I push it back in, then smoke starts blowing out from the rear of the engine, not from the pcv's but behind the plenum somewhere. I cant get far enough behind to see where it is coming from and I have no codes. Does this sound like a blown head gasket or is there anything else behind there that will do this? If it is the head gasket she is gone. So much for my post yesterday about my '91 being so good to me. :p

Post Edited (May 29, 5:22pm)

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Engine Issue

It smelled like oil.....I noticed that my pcv's though pretty new are rusted badly could this damage anything if they are stuck shut?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Engine Issue

I know my engine bay is not looking good but I have not had time to clean it since my wife and I had our kids. Needs a paint job in there too not to mention parked away from trees to keep the leaves and pine needles out.

When I unplug this my idle goes from erratic to normal and smooth. What is this plug and why does it change the idle?

This is the plug I was asking about that Zaddict wanted a pic of on the passenger side of the rear of the engine...it's missing what looks like the ground in both ends and is rotted toward the bottom (arrow)

Then I found these under all the plugs. I am pretty sure this is where the smoke was coming from since there was a hole in each one on each side of the rear of the engine. I can't help but wonder if the guy that replaced my heater hoses did any of this.

Post Edited (May 29, 5:18pm)

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
That connector (2 wire plug) is the detonation sensor connector. Yes -- easy to see the wire is broken in 2 places -- on the left side (of connector in hand) as well as where you have the arrow in the picture. I just repaired mine for a similiar issue on one side of the harness - used some crimp quick connectors (cut out the old Nissan connectors). Will make it very easy if I ever need to do the resistor trick as a bypass.

Don't know what that other 4 wire connector does - don't have that on my NA. Would guess it might be for the HICAS unit?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.