ZCar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there! I'm new to the forum, but I'm about to buy a Datsun 280z for my first car. I want to figure out how to fix the only engine problem it has. I can hear the fuel pump priming whenever I turn the car on, but the car won't start unless I spray starting fluid into the intake, and dies when I stop. I'm certain the fuel pump works, but I don't understand why the engine isn't getting fuel (it has gas).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Insufficient fuel pressure, clogged fuel line, clogged fuel filter, ECM issue, bad injectors, bad electrical connections to injectors, bad electrical connections in other areas, blown fuse, or any number of other things. If it won't run, how do you know fuel delivery is the only problem it has?

If I were you, I would find the service manual online and start reading the Engine Fuel section. The service manual is gold and will help you out in a bunch of other areas as well.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Check for power at the injectors for +12v. All should have power while the ignition is on even if the engine isn't running (some models have power even when the ignition is off).

You obviously have spark so the ignition is working.

·
Registered
9 Posts
As Oregonipa said, there is a long list of things that can be the issue, or even issues. How long has it been sitting, and how long has that fuel been sitting in the tank? I mean, if the fuel is bad and there is water in it, it won't matter what is or is not working.

Not sure if you've bought it yet or not, or if you reduced the asking price due to it not actually starting, or what they even asked for it in the first place. I mean, I don't know what the condition of the rest of the car is, but if you are only paying $500, then put it on a trailer and take it to your house and get to wrenching. But definitely drain the tank, have it cleaned/clean it and make sure there isn't any rust inside the tank.

I've picked up a few cars along the way that the owner thought it wouldn't run, and sold them at low prices. When I've gotten them home, hooked up a fuel line, checked the oil and turned the engine. They cranked and I was in the clear. Then have had the opposite. But if you buy it right, then you're still in the black if you can get it running.

But without having a little more info, there are a heck of a lot of things that can be happening, or not happening.

Hi there! I'm new to the forum, but I'm about to buy a Datsun 280z for my first car. I want to figure out how to fix the only engine problem it has. I can hear the fuel pump priming whenever I turn the car on, but the car won't start unless I spray starting fluid into the intake, and dies when I stop. I'm certain the fuel pump works, but I don't understand why the engine isn't getting fuel (it has gas).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts