ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got in over my head o wednesday. I went to change my oil pan gasket because the previous owner used the make a gasket silicone (sucks). Well anyways after I had removed the oil pan bolts and every hing associated I couldn't get the darn thing out. Now according to some friends I have to hoist the engine up 3 or 4 inches, anybody out there have an easier way? Any response would be appreciated thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I thought you had to drop the tranny, to slide the pan back then down.

Lifting the enginge could work.
Be very careful.
Those wires and hoses are old.

·
Registered
40 Posts
On my 77' I just put a floor jack under the bell housing where the engine and tranny meet and jacked it up 2 maybe 3 inches(loosen motor mounts first) and then just play with the pan, it should slide forward.
Martin

·
Registered
205 Posts
there is an easy way to accomplish this
you get to make a tool.
get a 4" by 4" from home depot and cut it or have them cut it for you to the length that is needed to fit on the lip inside the fender where the hood covers.
DO NOT LET IT REST ON THE TOP OF THE FENDERS 'CAUS EIT WILL DIMPLE THEM
Drill a hole through the lumber directly above the rear engine hoist point (on mine it is drivers side near firewall metal plate sticking up with hole in it)
cut a piece of threaded rod ( 3/8" rod is best) long enough to go through the wood and bend one endpast 90 degrees.
slip straight end through wood.install washer and nut on top just a little ways
slip bent end through hoist point. Install washer and nut to keep it from falling out.
put wrench on upper nut. take out slack. you now can remove motor mount bolts.
raise engine by tuning wrench.
PS if you leave motor mounts on you can hold aft end of engine up for trans/clutch work
PPS any questions.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the great tips, Hopefully I can fix by tomorrow 'cause I just hate diving my truck. Thank you all Again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.