ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do you clean the oxidation/rust off most of the clamps, brackets and parts? I tried a acid-based rust remover w/ lots of brushing on a clamp and it stripped it clean alright but also stripped the brass/bronze? finish off too. Do I need to refinish the part to prevent it from rusting or is there a way to keep the brass/bronze finish and clean the oxidation off?
Any help and tips would be much appreciated-

thanks

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
Kind of depends on how deep the rust is, and how thick the bronze finish is.

If you have some old bronze furnature, you can polish that as much as you want, because its all bronze. But if you have a coating, you usually have to re-coat it, because when you polish something, you are actually taking off a thin layer of it.

Take a dull old penny to a buffing wheel, you will be able to get it shining like new again, but look at Abe's face, less detail now, you took the top layer off!

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
BTW

On brake lines and solid AC lines, I found Mother's metal polish, used with a 3M "scotch pad". (green scrubby thing) worked very well. It kinda left little hairline scratches in the parts, but it took all the grime right off. I then used a soft cloth and more polish to get it really shiny.

·
Registered
10 Posts
moving on up

i have a 78 280zx that run great but body is not good, but i found a 80 zx that has a very good body no rust, but the motor smoke. will my 78motor fix into a 1980 zx without any promblem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.