ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello friends. A few weeks ago, I posted an issue with my 85 Z NA cutting out after hitting 2200rpms. A suggestion that I replace the MAF was given and I took it and replaced it, since the MAF appeared to be original.

For 3 days the car ran great after putting in the new one. Better than it has since I first bought it. It idled better, started off the line better and just had more power overall.

Then...

on the 4th day I drive to work, everything is fine. It sits for 4 hours, then I got out to hit lunch. I start it up.. sit there for a min getting stuff together then take off. BAM! same issue is back. Hits 2200rpm and it cuts out. Then without warning I'm able to go above 2200rpms and hit any speed I want.

The only thing different is this time when I'm cruising at 65-70mph, I can feel it wanting to cut out, like if you were tapping your finger on a table slowly.. its less than a second per cut out but the car keeps going... then without any kind of warning, its back to its old tricks...

So now.. on the 6th day, its basically hit and miss. Sometimes I'll go out and it runs like a champ.. then periodically it will continue the cutting out issue.

Could it be a climate issue? Meaning, if the outside temp gets too hot or humid? Could it be the ECU? Is there a rev limiter code or sensor? Would the TPS do this? Anyway, all of your help would be great! Thanks.

·
Registered
275 Posts
i had an 84 a long time ago that did that sporadically, and when it would start happening I would unplug the ECU and back in and it fixed it for a while, kept happenning though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The connector that attaches to the MAF may have a wire that isn't connecting tightly to the metal pins on the MAF. Pull back the rubber boot on the electrical connector and then tug on each wire individually to see if any of them are loose. If loose squees the female connector so that it fits tighter on the corresponding pin.

Also check the corresponding wire connecting to the ECU as you may have a similar problem or you may have corrosion on the metal pins or metal sockets.

Let me know if this doesn't solve your problem.

Mark

·
Registered
304 Posts
almost sounds like a fuel temp sensor

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I replaced the TPS and its still doing the same thing. So now I'm going to look for the ECU and clean the connectors and such. Sigh.. frustrating to be sure. Thanks guys for all your great ideas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.