ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 280Zx is screwed! Today I drove it around then all of a sudden i couldn't rev my engine past 2500rpm... I have nooo idea what might be wrong. I just about didn't make it home because when i'm driving I can't let the engine go over 2500 before it cuts out and acts like its in nuetral. If i hold the pedal to the floor in neutral the engine revs up to 2500 then quits then back up to 2500... then engine never actually turns off though, just idle speed. could it have something to do with the efi?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Right behind your Air Flow sensor there is a 3 prong connector that goes down into a throttle position sensor. That is were your problem is most likely. I washed me motor and had the same problem. Take the connector out, clean out any water or dirt and clean the connector. This will probably fix it.

Let us know!!

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
> Right behind your Air Flow sensor there is a
> 3 prong connector that goes down into a
> throttle position sensor. That is were your
> problem is most likely. I washed me motor
> and had the same problem. Take the connector
> out, clean out any water or dirt and clean
> the connector. This will probably fix it.

> Let us know!!
if you don't get it going i'll give you $100 for it.
charlie

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
engine cuts out at 2500 rpm...again

> Right behind your Air Flow sensor there is a
> 3 prong connector that goes down into a
> throttle position sensor. That is were your
> problem is most likely. I washed me motor
> and had the same problem. Take the connector
> out, clean out any water or dirt and clean
> the connector. This will probably fix it.

> Let us know!!

I started up my car this morning and it reved up fine.. until my engine got warm and everything thawed out again... I don't know which plug to pull cuz my 280zx book doesn't say anything bout an Air Flow sensor or a throttle position sensor that I can see. Is Air flow meter the same thing?

·
Registered
107,695 Posts
Re: engine cuts out at 2500 rpm...again

OK this is the best I can do on short notice.
Look in the lower left hand corner. Just to the left of the Distributor and down. This is the throttle valve assembly (I don't know what else to call it). What we are looking for is right on the front of the aluminum intake assembly. It is on the driver side, Now this picture does not show the throttle position sensor, but it would normally be on the funny shaped thing to the left of the plenum. What this will look like.... A brown or black box bolted to the side of this assembly right next to the black plastic intake tube. It will have a Molex connector plugged into the top of it. You cant miss it. It is about 2x2 inches. If you really have trouble E-mail me back (I am plugged in from 2-11pm Central) and I will give you my phone number. I can walk you through this step by step. If you e-mail me I normally respond with in about 5-min, Unless I am on break.. :p Just pull the connector out, get all the water out and put it back on. Then use electrical tape to seal it up. That should get you through.

Pic is from the Stealth Z.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: engine cuts out at 2500 rpm...again

Thanks Bandit! I finally found the little black box you were talking about. I dodn't think that was the right one at first because my book calls it a throttle valve switch. So I pulled off the plug, melted the ice with a hair dryer then cleaned out the water from it. Now my car works.. woohoo! Thanks Alot!

-Jon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.