Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Been a while since I've been here as I've been pretty busy working on new Z's.

Just have a question........I have a 260Z 2+2 that I bought recently and I also have a 260Z two seater and a 240Z.

All really need some work but I am wondering which I should devote the time and effort to. I drive the 240Z as a daily at the moment but the body is in need of some serious work. I have been working extensively on the 2+2 as it is a bare shell (bare as in, no brake lines, no interior) and the 260Z 2 seater has been lying around in someone's shed for a fair while. I want to have one as something different (ie, supercharged, rotary (?)) but I don't know which one I should do and what to put in it.

As I said, something different (no V8's unless they are late model, quad cam, no turbo's either as it's been done before) and which car???

Suggestions greatly appreciated on what engine and which car.

Thanks

Alex from Oz

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
If it were me...

...and based only on what you have said, here's what I would do.

Keep the 240Z and restore it as close as possible to an original.

Take the 260 coupe and start doing research on putting in a small block Chevy engine. These are relatively inexpensive and put out a good amount of HP per dollar spent. Go to the Jaguars that Run website (jtr.com?) and hybridz.org to learn more about mounting a 350 in your Z. There is a good book on the subject as well.

Don't know what to tell you to do with the 2+2.

Good luck!

·
Registered
345 Posts
choices.....

Alex,first you should decide what engine you will have in a car and then start from there.Engine choice depends on how you will use this car,if it will be daily driver,and you happy with L24 then this is way to go,just add some modifications.If you want more power go with L28. If car will be daily driver and happy the way it drives but want more power i'd suggest ( i know you don't like it ) turbo L28 swap, just to keep it simple find 280zxt parts car and swap everything into your early Z.If you want a lot of horses under your hood V8 is way to go.It will get more fuel in everyday drive, but you will be driving this car with a smile on your face, and there will be not many cars on the street which can give you trouble.There are more choices to engine swap.Superchargers...hum...i saw only three 240z with superchargers, two of them on pictures, one two years ago at MSA event.This is not common swap and you probably will be on your own with a lot of money and time to spend to do everything right.I saw one 280Z with 300ZX tt engine, and read article at ZDiver.com about anothr 300ZX swap into early Z.Your choice.Also there are people who have FORD,MOPAR,BUICK V6 Turbo engines in their cars.Up to you whatever you want to have and what sound you like the most.www.jagsthatrun.com has all nessesary parts to convert your Z into V8 fire breathing beast,start with ordering their book ,and check out www.hybrid,org site.
In my opinion there is two V8 which are suit well into Z ,and they are LS1+6 spd from late camaro/firebird, and another crate engine from GM performance parts ZZ4 ( at least it has Z in the name )YOu could use almost any 350 Chevy, but advance of these engines is that first it totally alluminum,and the later has alluminum heads and intake manifold,which brings it weight close to original L24 ( LS1 will be probably even less than L24 )I'm not sure about LT1 engine ,i know that aftermarket parts for it now are more abundant then for LS1, but right now situation is changing.Cons for LS1 is that only few people have such set up,and JTR don't have mounts for it.Also the price for it won't be cheap,ZZ4 had price tag around $3300,probably less then LS1+ 6spd.So you decidewhat do you want to have.If you will stick with V8 conversion,then weight of the car is ot as important as if you had L series engine.Don't forget that using V8 swap you will need to update your tranny to above mention one or T5,rear end has to be R200, good choice is LSD from 300 turbo R200 3.7.also you will probably need CV shafts from 280ZXt, probably roll cage,suspension/breaks update is nessesary to hold these ponies to the ground and not letting them giving you traction problems.
On the other hand stock L28 turbo swap requires less job to be done. Think about it, you will get better fuel milage then with either L28 or V8.
L28 swap and modifications fairly common issue on this site, so do yourself a favor and look into archives,there is a lot of info about it.
OK, now we have set up in mind, what car we will use,humm.I'd go with 240Z for sure.But if this car needs a lot of work and has rust, go with 260z (not 2+2 ) if that needs work too, then the very last choice is 2+2.Or ( more headache,but i'd do this ) i would look for a nice car which needs less work and has no or little rust and finance this purchase with money i could get from selling all three cars
which you own now.I'd buy 4th Z and then sell the rest three.If you can't do it, then find one car which needs less job,has less body damage and use parts from the other two to make it even better.
Before you do anything,just come up with plan ,put it on the paper calculate how much everything costs,what you can do yourself, what someone esle needs to do.And after you have green light to your project :) Good luck.Any questions just ask :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Re: choices.....

By the sounds of it, you want originality and performance.... Something that you have never seen... But there is always the question of money, but hey ya gotta be original. I've seen an article in hot rod with a 5spd mounted to the new caddy v8, you know, the northstar, and that in an old oooolllddd cadilac, the land yaght cars. I immediately thought that it would be great in a z, don't know any dimesions, but ****, 300 hp stock, and it's a quad cam four valve engine. It would be wild and even better with a couple of turbos. The engine is aluminum, should'nt be a weight issue, but it is wide. The t5 needs a locating dowel moved, and it's a bolt up after that. I'd check into this option, it seems you're looking for a challenge.

Dylan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Keep driving the 240, do an engine swap in the 260 2 seater. I put a chevy 4.3 in my 260. It leaves a lot of room in the engine compartment. I put the motor all the way back to the firewall, and over to the passenger's side about 1.25 inches. Weight balance is better than stock (49/51 front/rear) and I am pretty sure this 4.3 is lighter than the L26. It actually sits just a fuzz higher in the front now. Traction is awesome, and it really snaps your head back into the seat right off the line. My motor was a Vortec, but I didn't mess with the fuel injection. The whole Vortec setup would be a pretty neat way to go.
Another good bet, and probably about the same $, is to use a ATI Procharger on the stock motor. They do a lot with carbeureted setups, and I know of at least one guy (another 4.3L Z) who runs 14psi boost without timing retard on pump gas. Check out their website, it explains a lot. I guess a carbeuretor actually acts like an intercooler for centrifugal blower setups.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.