ZCar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having some trouble with my 83zxt for some time now. I was taking off the oil pressure sending unit and the t-block for the turbo oil supply an the dang nipple broke off in the block.In an attempt to hook up a mechanical gauge. I know it wasn't nesscary to take the complete assembly off, but I was taking it with me to the store to get the right fittings. Now this is when it gets better, so i now get a screw extractor broken off in the nipple. I am talking about the oil filter outlet galley here.
So I then have to drill between the nipple and the ez-out to get a tool in there to extract the ez-out. I was able to repair the nipple, but metal shavings did get in the motor and spun a bearing.

This motor is was in excellant shape, 150(turbo) compression, quite running, nevers burns oil. So I guess what i need to know is can i just replace the crank bearings and rod bearings. Or will I have to bring the motor to a machine shop and get the crank worked on. The crank it self looked pretty good to me, no scoring marks..but then again i am not an engine builder(yet). I know that there are other things that should be done durning a teardown like this, but I am so broke I can't even afford to lie. What i would like to do is just get new standard size crank&rod bearings an just install them and run the motor like that. Can that be done without getting any machine work done on the block or crank? I have taken pictures of both the crankshaft and the bearings, but problem is I am to lame to know how to get them to appear on this page. I CAN and WILL of course send them to you via-e-mail upon request(4 pictures) 420kb each. Again money is definantly a issue here.

Since this has all happend about 45 days ago i've already swaped my spare block in my Z. Got a valve job done too. But the problem with this block is that it has low compression 120 psi. Smokes oil. and is now giving me trouble with my oil pump drive gear. Something is making my dizzy jump timing. I think the gears are jumping.I have a crank gear and oil pump/distriburtor shaft coming Mon or Tues from Zbarn. So i am hoping that this will fix the timing deal, so at least I'll have a car to drive..yeah i lost my job because of this whole deal and need a car to get to work.
thats why i am so broke. So I want to repair the bottom end and run my orginal motor with the good compression back on the road. Please tell me what should be done here..

Steve
83 zxt in trouble

· Registered
5,829 Posts
I am sorry to hear about that. I was afraid that was going to happen to you. Well here is what you should do. Pull the engine, take it apart, mark each piston assembly when you do. You can get by with replacing the crank and bearings.
Just make sure that when you tear it down you get all of the metal bits out of the oil gallys. Let me know if you need piston/rod assemblies. I have a complete set You can get cheap and they are the turbo assemblies.

· Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey, Jeff when you said "You can get by with replacing the crank and bearings." Did you mean replace the entire crank shaft or the just crank shaft bearings/rod bearings

Oh yeah also, do you have a spare turbo that your willing to sell? I think I may have fried mine. When I drilled the hole in the block I damaged the threads. So I used JBweld to sorta seal the situation, but however the JB weld seeped and blocked off oil going to the T-block (Turbo oil supply.) I do have a spare turbo that come off the junkyard motor, but its condition is unknown

Thanks again,

Steve

· Registered
613 Posts
He means the crankshaft bearings and rob bearings. as jeff said its too bad, but i have too many bad memories with EZ outs, i think they can go fly a kite those pieces of monkey, well you get the idea.

-Emir

· Registered
35 Posts
zparts- u are not having a lot of luck-i remoced my send this morning- was frozen also-i could see it snapping also-decided to run motor to temp and then try it-it was easy to remove then, so i hope others dont have the same situation.
Regarding the metal- i feel that u would have flus the whole system out with the crank removed and the head off-back flushing the whole lot including the crank by blowing air or kero.the camshaft would also need cleaning.
Anything else, and u are just doing a half job and throw your money away. I with u well-hope u try the method i used in the future- regards Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.