ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have my wesico pistons, t3/t4 "H" trim turbo, ported head, intake and upper plenum (will be getting flow numbers together), Cams, Toga HP bearings, Toga HP/HV oil pump, RC engineering injectors, custom down pipe, hks exhaust, and intercooler. I am in the process now of putting it all together and came to wonder. How much boost have people run consistently on the VG30et and how much HP can i run on the stock rods? I noticed that the rods are pretty sought when i pulled her down. I know at school we run small block Chevy rods to 500 HP range. Would enjoy any intelligent responses to these 2 questions. Thanks and ZUL8R.

Post Edited (Jun 5, 8:41pm)

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Re: Almost there

sorry...I should've read it more closely, usually I look for compression with pistons.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Pushing the **** out of that turbo set up you may make close to 450hp at the crank, and even then its a long shot. What size injector are you running on this power house? What type of computer upgrades are you using to keep everything in tune?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
450HP?!! sounds low balled considering I have seen 450 HP made relatively easily on a stock bottom end. I am running RC engineering injectors. have not gotten a computer yet but I was thinking JWT or HKS f-con.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
The problem isn't in the short block. Its that turbo, upgraded as it may be it is still a real small unit for big power. Specially if the car has cams. Have a "T" Series turbo speced, or try a GT turbo, but do get away from a T3 if you want to make over 400hp easy.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It has a T4 compressor housing. ITs a T3/T4 H-trim. If the stock turbo can boost up to 14-15 im sure i wont have a problem boosting to around 20psi. 20 psi on a 3.0ltr with 8.5:1 compression on a machined block will be able to reach at least 450HP.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Boost means squat. Do you know the compressor map? What is the efficiancy of you housing. Inlet temps?, Ignition timing? A T-3-t-4 is not always the best. Are'nt you using the same smaller t-3 turbine? How do you efficantly run 50% more air thru a turbine designed for a much smaller air flow? Im sorry, t-3-t4 turbos get ALOT of HYPE. There are many combinations of A/R Ratios, and most are truely not the best for 3.0 liters are more. You may flow more air, but the more boost you run thru these the hotter they get. There is WAY MORE than boost, and compression to make a TRUE 450hp engine. You need to do more homework. By the way youre question cant be answered by any facts, You wrote:

"450HP?!! sounds low balled considering I have seen 450 HP made relatively easily on a stock bottom end"

Do you have any idea how much power 450 rwhp is?? Dude.. Nothing is relativly easy to make 450 hp with. Low balled??? Post some 350hp dyno slips first.

Post Edited (Jun 6, 6:47pm)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The engine isnt finished so i have not had a chance to tinker with things such as timing. First of all im not a little bitch when it comes to building power out of an engine. I have done tons of research, found flow numbers, did the machining myself and much more when it comes to this engine. so as far as building power its not always about the amount of boost as this is only a measurement of air not able to flow through the intake, hence by making the engine flow more air you may lower the amount of PSI but increase the HP out put of the engine. As far as the turbo i am flowing more air through the intake. This will effect the amount of air flowing out of the exhaust. More air out of the exhaust the more spooling the turbo can do up to its certain limit. I have talked this over with Joel britt from Arizona Turbo( built my turbo using stock center section) and he did not see a problem using this turbo for my app. I wanted a general figure about this not an exact answer.

Post Edited (Jun 6, 7:42pm)

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Agreed, but upping the amount of airflow threw the compressor side of a T3 with a stock VG30 that reves out at 4500rpm its effective. Build a motor, put a set of cams that is going to dramaticly change the powerband you have a different situation. If you have the turbo built and your hart is set on using it, go for it. Almost anything will work. I personally wouldn't go T3 but I may have different expectations on my cars and a different way of making horsepower. Anyhow if you need anyhelp with options on fuel injection or turbos drop me a line. Good luck.

Alex C
Costa Speed & performance
AIM:boostmyride

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.