ZCar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I am new to the world of Z cars trying to revive a 72 240z that has been sitting for at least 15 years. One item that I am currently working on is fixing a blown head gasket. I am looking for feedback on the current state of my engine block deck after I have been going at it with a plastic scraper, green scotch brite pads, and acetone. I know this thing isn't perfectly clean but I wanted to see what the brain trust thinks is a good stopping point for a fifty-year-old engine.

Thanks,

Jared
Photograph Automotive engine gasket Audio equipment Automotive tire Wood

Gas Auto part Circle Metal Machine

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim Automotive exterior

·
Administrator
1983 280ZX Turbo
2,555 Posts
I have been known to use a razor blade scraper on heads. My normal tool is a well-sharpened chisel with a very straight edge. It's not bad but the dark areas still need to be scraped better.

Before mounting heads, check the block with a straight edge to look for any deviations from straight and level.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I bought something called a "super scraper" kinda pricy but works great. wood handle carbide tipped. really does a nice job. Use care on alum surfaces, generally speaking its better to drag that to push on alum. I was also advised to not use a "rolox" think that is it, for any kind of alum work, again just FYI for anyone reading this and doing surface prep for gaskets. scraping while not gouging was the key, esp on things like head gaskets.

·
Registered
351 Posts
It might seem to some, that there is less to worry about than the square of the quite rigid steel block, than from the potential injury to the softer, much less rigid head.

This same "some" might also worry that a judgement based on a handy "straight edge", might be somewhat illustionary.

Just $.02 from the cheap seats.

·
Administrator
1983 280ZX Turbo
2,555 Posts
I agree that it's more likely for the head to warp than the block to do so.

I make the assumption that someone wanting to check an engine or head with a straight edge would be aware enough choose an edge which is known to be straight.

·
Registered
1972 240z
3 Posts
Looks pretty good, might worry more about the rings. But you might as well put the head back on and check compression. Clean up the springs and lifters. Have the head cleaned up at the machine shop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts