ZCar Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read throughout this forum that the P90A head came only on the 83 turbos, I've confirmed this with the clubs I belong to. But I just pulled the turbo motor out of my parts car which has a build date (inside driver's door jamb) of 11/80, which should mean the motor should have a P90 head. The guy I bought it from indicated everthing was original, but he thought the car was an 83. Now I'm confused as that 11/80 build date would indicate the car's an 81.

The reason I'm concerned is that some motor and engine bay parts were different between 81 and 83 and may not be interchangeable.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Kevin

·
Registered
178 Posts
I never figured out the way they dated the cars. Shouldn't 11/80 mean it's from November 1980?
the first time I was confused is when I saw a 300 zx at a junkyard and looked at the little plate on the driver side door panel and it said something like 8/83 but the comeplete body and what was left of the engine looked all like the 300zx so it had to be a 300zx.
If you get some info I would be interested in knowing what's up with that.
later, erick

·
Registered
506 Posts
I believe the magic month is september, if a car is built 9/83 it is technically an 84 model, that's how the dealerships can start selling the new models before new years, cars make great x-mas presents (in case anybody wanted to get me something special ;-)

·
Registered
3 Posts
well hey kevin!

this car was one of the weirdest ones i have ever seen. the vin decoded as a 81, but the car had all the features of an 83. digital dash (83 ONLY) p90 head with hydraulic lifters (83 only) and several other things that made it an 83! voice box (didnt have that in 81!!)

my guess is the car was totaled and /or totaly restored at some time with a different car vin?
i dont know
its been a while since i have dealt with the car. all i know is that it is really an 83. please let me know kevin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.